The Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) seek to invite qualified consultant on Africa Status Report on Research and Innovation (AfARR). The Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in East and Central Africa (ASARECA), the Centre for Coordination of Agricultural and Development for Southern Africa (CCARDESA), the West and Central Africa Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF/WECARD), and the African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS), are co-implementing the CAADP Pillar 4 on Agricultural Research and Innovation (CAADP-XP4) Project.
The CAADP-XP4 Project is financially supported by the European Union and administrated by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) for a period of four (4) years, 2019-2023.
The CAADP-XP4 project supports a science-led and climate-relevant agricultural transformation in Africa and aims at strengthening AR4D implementing organizations (AFAAS, ASARECA, CCARDESA, CORAF and FARA) to collectively support African countries implement relevant programmes of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) through: inclusive regional and international partnerships; production and exchange of climate relevant agricultural knowledge; effective communication, monitoring and evaluation; promotion of systemic and effective use of science, knowledge and innovation; and representation of the sub regional and national organizations at continental level.
The overall objective of the CAADP-XP4 is to increase the contribution of Africa’s regional and country level agriculture and food innovation systems towards achievement of climate relevant and sustainable transformation of the continent’s agriculture and food systems.
The specific objective is to improve the individual and collective capacities of the key supra- national agricultural research and innovation institutions in their support to countries to achieve the programme’s overall objective, through (i) establishing and strengthening multi- stakeholder partnerships (including European institutions) for climate relevant innovation; (ii) strengthening policies, regional institutional arrangements and markets access; (iii) enhancing knowledge management for advocacy and decision support; and (iv) strengthening coordination (including planning, M&E and learning) and reporting.
These guide the 5 main outputs areas of the project that include:
Output Area 1: Strengthen the capacities of the individual continental and regional organizations in technical and organizational capacities in coordination, multi-stakeholder program management, resource mobilization, fiduciary processes and MEL for Africa agricultural transformation;
Output Area 2: Multi-stakeholder Partnerships for Innovation established and in operation;
Output Area 3: Policies in support of climate relevant agriculture and food systems transformation formulated; investments increased, advocacy and market linkages strengthened,
Output Area 4: Knowledge Management: Knowledge Management & Communication for decision support, sharing innovation and advocacy related to climate relevant agriculture transformation, and
Output Area 5: Effective Planning, Coordination, Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning (MEL) & Reporting
As part of the deliverable in output four of the project, FARA has been positioned to lead the production of a flagship report on Africa Status Report on Research and Innovation (AfARR) which will be published in collaboration with partners within the “Forum” and beyond based on most recent and relevant historical data, information and knowledge.
The aim of the Flagship publication is to provide evidence of the status of Africa on R&I, contribute to global debates about R&I, and to provide evidence for informed policy decision making that help poorer countries reap more benefits from the fast-changing global economy. This ToR explicates the process for the engagement of a consultant including the desired qualification, experience and the desired deliverable.
Objectives of the Assignment
The main purpose of this assignment is to develop, validate and launch a detailed strategy, guidelines and template in 2020 to guide the production of the main flagship report dubbed “Africa Status Report on Research and Innovation (AfARR)” in the year 2021. The Consultant shall coordinate the first phase of a two (2) phase process in the production of the AfARR as a flagship publication in order to make Africa’s Research & Innovation knowledge and information available to its Members and all who require it, and in the most appropriate fashion for each target audience to enable informed decision making.
- Phase 1 (2020): To develop the strategy and systems detailing the scope, content, setting up of an international editorial team, identify publisher(s) as well as programme for the launch of the content required for writing the first edition by September
- Phase 2 (2021): To coordinate the development of the contents, its reviews as well as the Final production and publication of the first edition of AfARR by October 2021
Scope of the Assignment
The consultant will work with the FARA Knowledge Management Lead and carry out the following functions:
- Develop the scope and content required to produce the first AfARR (Including content submission template to guide authors, annotated chapters, cover design, etc).
- Identify authors for the various contents (theme/chapters) of the publication, possible source of data, design, publishers, and other relevant processes required of a Flagship report.
- Set up an International Editorial Team (IED)
- Identify users of the report and how the final report will be
- Design a programme of activities with timelines on how the first edition will be conducted.
- Organize a validation workshop for the content requirement of AfARR .
- Finalize document and draft a programme for the launch of the first AfARR content in October
Also note the following:
The Inception Meeting will be organized by the implementing partner institutions (AFAAS, ASARECA, CCARDESA, CORAF and FARA), herein referred as the Consortium, within two (2) weeks after the Consultant is recruited.
An inception report on the conceptualization of the survey shall be prepared by the Consultant and discussed during the Inception Meeting. The inception report will indicate the milestones and the time frame for the different stages of the assignment, and any other important issues.
Outputs or Deliverables
Contractually, the Consultant will report directly to the Director for Research and Innovation of FARA, which is the institution coordinating the study on behalf of the Consortium.
The key deliverable of the assignment are:
- The Inception Report of the survey which comprise the Final Conceptual Framework of the study, shall be submitted 1 week after the Inception meeting.
- Detailed time schedule of various activities to be undertaken during the
- Validated template, systems and requirements to produce the first edition of AfARR and subsequent Biennial editions of
- Report of final Team of authors, reviewers, publishers, contacted and constituted
- Final strategy, guidelines and template (long and Abridged versions as well as PowerPoint presentation) produced
Duration and Time Schedule
The Consultancy shall be thirty (30) days spread between July and October 2020 (Initial validation may be done during the FARA GA and Science Week tentatively scheduled for October 2020).
Location of the Assignment
The assignment will be carried out at the home office of the consultant and outputs submitted to FARA Secretariat in Accra, Ghana or its designee. Whenever there is the need for a field trip, this will be discussed and agreed by both parties. The Consortium may provide temporary arrangements for office space, conveyance experts for discussion, telephone and communication facilities, when the Consultant is in mission in the institution.
The consultant shall report through the FARA Knowledge Management Lead to the Director of Research and Innovation on the assignment and on all other logistics until the deliverable are submitted as required.
The Consultant shall provide detailed estimates of the budget including travels, other related activities and submit for discussion during the negotiation of the contracts and in line with FARA’s procurement procedures.
Facilities to be provided by the CAADP XP4 Consortium
FARA will provide the following materials to facilitate the assignment of the consultant:
- Access to relevant FARA documents about the subject where
- Linkage with the contact person in the SROs on the assignment
- Logistics arrangements to support the needed liaison with lead
- Travel ticket and modest per-diem based on FARA revised system for all missions to carry out the
- FARA will arrange linkages with the SROs and other institution to provide site specific logistic support, for specific assignment
The Consultant is expected to undertake the services with the highest standards of professionalism and ethics, competence and integrity. He should be able to deliver the listed assignments in Section C in a most effective and efficient manner, within the period of assignment
Qualification for the Team Leader
The Consultant should have the following expertise:
- A minimum of Master’s degree in English, journalism, agriculture, international development, or related areas; A PhD in related fields may be an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven writing skills and at least 8 years’ experience in providing services for similar
- Experience of producing reports/publications based on multi-agency/multi-author inputs
- A good understanding and knowledge of the African Agricultural Research for Development
- Have excellent English writing and communication skills are required; French proficiency will be an added
- Ability to work flexibly
Interested candidates should send their expression of interest and comprehensive curriculum vitae via email to the address below by close of business on August 17, 2020.
Dr. Yemi Akinbamijo Executive Director
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) PMB CT 173, Cantonments, Accra, Ghana Telephone: +233 302 772823/744888 Email: email@example.com
For further clarification, you may contact: