Agricultural Production Lead (South Sudan), The Agricultural Production Lead will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and partnership strategy for interventions to improve smallholder farmer productivity.
Agricultural Production Lead South Sudan-Agricultural Production Lead South Sudan
POSITION TITLE: Agricultural Production Lead
LOCATION: South Sudan
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
POSITION SUMMARY:- Agricultural Production Lead South Sudan
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking an experienced Agricultural Production Lead to provide technical program design and leadership for an anticipated USAID-funded Agriculture Resiliency Activity in South Sudan. S/he will lead a team toward facilitated approaches to engage private sector firms in promoting adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies that result in higher productivity, sustained natural resources, resilient income and job growth, and improved food security. S/he will work closely with the Markets Lead to identify and manage partnerships that yield results in line with objectives.
The project will build off USAID’s past investments in the agricultural sector, increasing the amount, variety, and quality of nutritious food bought and sold at local markets. It also aims to create more jobs on farms and at markets and promote healthy eating and feeding behaviors for families. The position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:- Agricultural Production Lead South Sudan
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of activities to promote the adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies using a market systems development approach;
- Build capacity of technical and other project staff, partners, and stakeholders for implementing market systems strategies for increasing agricultural production;
- Implement diagnostics and assessments for identifying and mitigating shocks and stresses, evaluating market opportunities, identifying partners, and designing project partnerships;
- Build cohesive farmer groups to improve access to knowledge, inputs, finance and markets.
- Identify and manage partnerships that contribute both sustainable and inclusive benefits to smallholder farmers and to anticipated project results;
- Understand and manage to expected project results, including evaluation of ongoing activities as part of a collaborating, learning, and adapting approach;
- Support an efficient and accurate data collection and analysis system;
- Provide thought leadership for government of South Sudan counterparts, private sector businesses, USAID, and other stakeholders in understanding and implementing strategies to improve productivity;
- Co-facilitate quarterly Pause and Reflect sessions to capture learning, introduce improvements, and achieve meaningful results;
- Contribute to knowledge management and sharing activities within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with government;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to develop annual workplans aligned with annual and life of project targets;
- Collaborate with communications team to visualize and disseminate important findings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:-Agricultural Production Lead South Sudan
Education: Degree in agricultural science or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing productivity enhancing activities for international development projects, preferably with USG funded projects in South Sudan;
- Experience managing technical teams for market systems development, including training, capacity building, mentorship, and day-to-day management;
- Experience in agriculture, food security, post-harvest handling and processing, and/or market access.
- Familiarity with market systems development framework, including tools, strategies, and approaches;
- Knowledge the South Sudan agriculture sector;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Strong personnel management skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English, required
Livestock Productivity and Marketing Lead (South Sudan)
POSITION TITLE: Livestock Productivity and Marketing Lead
LOCATION: Juba, South Sudan
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
- Provide technical leadership to activities that improve livestock and poultry productivity, which include but is not limited to animal health and nutrition, husbandry and breeding practices, herd management, and feed.
- Design, test and scale market-led mechanisms to promote and deliver inputs and services to livestock producers.
- Develop partnerships to increase year-round access to affordable and high quality animal feed.
- Design embedded extension solutions to facilitate the transfer of improved livestock and poultry rearing practices to producers.
- Improve learning and adoption of technologies and practices.
- Identify market and business enabling barriers to livestock sector competitiveness including live animals, meat, milk, skins and hides, and work with project partners and stakeholders to develop private-sector led solutions.
- Identify capacity gaps across the broad range of livestock market system actors, and facilitate capacity building plans and access to training services.
- Design and implement a market-led strategy that incentivizes private sector investment.
- Identify and work closely with lead and intermediate private sector firms, building their capacity on firm-led services reaching pastoralist communities
- Laisse closely with financial institutions, end-markets, and service providers to increase pastoralist access to markets.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Advanced degree in degree in veterinary science, agronomy or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of practical experience in livestock production and marketing
- Demonstrated understanding of the economic, social, and cultural dynamics of pastoralist production systems in South Sudan.
- Demonstrated networks and trust relations with pastoralist communities.
- Demonstrated track record of working with service providers in the livestock sector, including veterinary and input services.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Demonstrated strong writing and oral presentation skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong team player