- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Consulate General Lagos
- Position Title:
- Automotive Mechanic – All Interested Candidates
- Open Period:
- 07/22/2020 – 08/04/2020 Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1020 5
- NGN ₦4,141,224
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – 48 hours per week
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
- Telework Eligible: No
- For More Info: HR Section
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 09. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- • Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (48 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two years of experience as an automotive mechanic is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Good working knowledge of vehicle diagnostics and troubleshooting practices, commercial and local market costs for parts and supplies, local dealership and maintenance facilities for specialized auto servicing and repairs is required. A good working knowledge of vehicle preventative maintenance and repair is required.
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of Secondary School or received high school diploma is required. Vocational automotive repair training, journeyman mechanic, or apprenticeship certification is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in language listed.
LANGUAGE: Limited knowledge in English Language is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must hold a valid Nigeria driver’s license and be able to operate different types of vehicles such as utility and passenger vehicles, medium trucks, and forklifts. Must be able to interpret shop manuals, parts catalogs and diagrams, and understand technical language of the trade. Must be able to troubleshoot and determine the cause of a malfunction and be able to use diagnostic tools and software to troubleshoot vehicle problems. Must have basic computer skills to us proprietary software and prepare simple reports.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Required Documents:
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.