RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Combining scientific rigor and technical proficiency, we deliver innovative methods, reliable data, thorough analysis, and novel technologies for sustainable programs that help inform public policy and ground practice in evidence.
RTI seeks a Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID renewable energy and energy efficiency project in Tunisia. The purpose of the USAID Tunisia Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency project is to assist the Government of Tunisia in its effort to meet increasing demand for electricity and promote energy conservation. The overarching implementation approach will be leveraging available external sources of assistance (including capital) to catalyze renewable energy development, with the public sector creating the necessary conditions for supporting and facilitating private sector-led energy investments; and supporting efficiency improvement interventions that produce energy savings.
This will be a senior-level leadership position, and candidates must have a proven track record of leadership and the ability to navigate complex political and operating environments.
• Lead overall activity delivery and management including technical, administrative, financial, operational and security tasks.
• Provide overall vision and leadership to implement tasks effectively across a diverse team of experts and specialists.
• Foster and maintain effective, professional relations with and among a broad range of government counterparts, private sector, local organizations, donors and other stakeholders to warrant coordination and leverage resources.
• Liaise with USAID and the RTI home office on technical and financial matters to ensure efficient and effective implementation of and reporting on programming.
• Oversee preparation and delivery of high-quality reports to USAID, including quarterly and annual reports, and other reports required by the contract.
• Ensure synergies across technical components of the activities through planning, coordination, deployment of resources, and intra-team communication.
Required Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree and 10 years of progressively responsible experience and expertise in activities delivering advanced energy systems and improved electricity sector performance.
• Extensive and substantive experience working with counterparts at various levels of government, as well as with non-government and regional organizations, including the private sector on energy initiatives.
• At least 3 years’ experience leading large-scale international development programs.
• Superb management skills, and exceptional writing and communication skills in French and English.
• Possession of intellectual, communications, leadership, and managerial skills necessary to develop, articulate, and implement a strategic vision for the project.
• Chief of Party experience on a USAID energy sector activity of similar size and scope preferred.
• Management experience in conflict-prone environments strongly preferred.
• Experience working in MENA, and notably Tunisia, preferred.