IBTCI seeks a Chief of Party – Research Director with the status of a for USAID’s Peace through Evaluation, Learning, and Adapting (PELA) Task Order, a USAID/West Africa regional program with a field office in Accra, Ghana. PELA supports USAID/WA in its goal to be a more effective, efficient and adaptable operating unit that strengthens systems of non-violent conflict management in the region through effective project implementation, activity coordination, learning from experience; and serving as an information, communication, and thought leader regarding peace promotion and countering violent extremism (CVE). This position is based in Accra, Ghana, with a period of performance through March 29, 2022 (approximately 22 months).
Job Title: Research Director
Department/Location: Accra, Ghana
Reports To: Project Director
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt-level position
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Leads the PELA Field Office team, managing day-to-day operations (financial and program management), and supervising the PELA Field Office staff, subcontractors, and consultants working in West Africa under the PELA Task Order;
- Assumes overall responsibility for activity management and technical operations to ensure that Task Order objectives are successfully met and that all deliverables are completed on schedule;
- Meets weekly with the PELA Home Office team;
- Ensures compliance with U.S. Government rules and regulations;
- Serves as the primary point of contact (meeting routinely) with USAID for activity implementation and management;
- Provides technical expertise in strengthening systems of non-violent conflict management and peace promotion;
- Provides quality control, ensuring that all products delivered under this Task Order are technically sound and of publishable quality;
- Drafts the requisite PELA annual and quarterly performance reports, the semi-annual work plan, and other required reports;
- Works closely with the MEL Manager in implementing the Activity, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan (AMELP);
- May be required to be in-country to perform the essential duties of this position;
- Reports to the PELA Project Director; and
- Manage all fiduciary duties in a responsible and professional manner.
- Travels domestically and internationally, especially in West Africa. Travel is essential and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25%-35% travel for project implementation and/or project management duties. Percentages may vary depending on IBTCI business needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- The Chief of Party will have experience in Countering Violent Extremism or peace promotion preferred;
- Ability to successfully manage and mentor/develop staff in a multi-country and multi-cultural setting as demonstrated by past experience;
- Ability to manage USAID contracts and all reporting requirements, with demonstrated knowledge of relevant USAID policies and regulations;
- Ability to perform internal control functions to manage day-to-day operations of the Task Order; and
- Experience establishing and supporting networks preferred.
- At least six (6) years of experience successfully managing MERL programs/activities; CLA; analytical research, and/or program support mechanisms;
- Master’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, public administration, political science, international relations, conflict resolution and peacebuilding, or related field. (PhD preferred)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, including experience preparing high-quality reports and presentations; and
- Minimum of professional proficiency in French.
- Oral and written fluency in English required.
Education: Master’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, public administration, political science, international relations, conflict resolution and peacebuilding, or related field required. PhD preferred.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: Travel is essential and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. An average of 25%-35% travel for project implementation and/or project management duties. Percentages may vary depending on IBTCI business needs.