Position: Communication and KM Specialist
INBAR Department: Global Programme
Reports to: Programme Manager
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Terms of Employment: 36 months, with six-month probation period. It is a project-based job position. The continued appointment during the project will be subject to satisfactory performance and sufficient funding being available for this position. Salary EUR 2000 per month (including benefits), commensurate with skills and experience.
The International Bamboo and Rattan Organisation (INBAR) is a multilateral development organisation that promotes environmentally sustainable development using bamboo and rattan. It has 46 Member States. In addition to its Secretariat headquarters in China, INBAR has Regional Offices in Cameroon, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Ghana and India.
Its unique set-up makes INBAR an important representative for Member States on the international stage. With over 40 of its Member States from the Global South, INBAR has played a strong role in promoting South-South cooperation for the last 20 years. Since its founding in 1997, it has been making a real difference to the lives of millions of people and environments around the world, with achievements in areas such as raising standards; promoting safe, resilient bamboo construction; restoring degraded land; capacity-building; and informing green policy and Sustainable Development Goal objectives.
INBAR is seeking a highly capable Communication and Knowledge Management Specialist for its Dutch-Sino East Africa Bamboo Development Programme – Phase II: Enhancing Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation benefits by developing inclusive and sustainable industrial and SME bamboo value chains resulting in enhanced livelihood opportunities, food security and environment management in East Africa. The programme will be implemented in Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda utilising strong South-South and Triangular linkages with the People’s Republic of China and the Netherlands.
The goal of the programme is to enhance climate change mitigation and adaptation benefits by developing inclusive and sustainable industrial and SME bamboo value chains resulting in enhanced livelihood opportunities, food security and environment management in East Africa.
The specific objectives of the programme are :
- Develop pro-poor industry and SME value chains by upscaling existing and diversifying into new value chains.
- Restore and sustainably manage bamboo resources contributing to decreased deforestation, enhanced sinks and increased climate resilience of ecosystem and livelihoods.
- Improved business environment, market development, policy and regulatory framework for increased public and private sector investment.
- Closely work with the Global Programme team and INBAR HQ communications team to develop and implement a communications and knowledge management strategy including systems for capturing, organising, disseminating information and lessons learnt to all stakeholders.
- Plan, coordinate and execute disseminate the actions and achievements of the programme at the local level in the three beneficiary countries, regional and international level, which increase interest in the sustainable use of bamboo. in line with the INBAR Corporate Communication Strategy.
- Support the Programme Manager in development of communication products – brochures, training materials, bulletins, technical reports, case studies, factsheets, business plans, awareness-raising materials, videos, images, graphics etc.
- Closely work with INBAR HQ communications team for sharing communications inforamtion news, stories, video, images, graphics etc.) for a wide publicity of the programme at INBAR website, social media, publications, public events for awareness-raising.
- Actively create content and manage and promote via INBAROfficial and Regional Office social media platforms.
- Strengthen the existing network of institutional contacts and civil society through the different communication channels to support the Programmes objectives.
- Establish close relationships with the communication teams of the strategic partners of the three countries implementing the programme to strengthen the implementation of the strategic communication plan.
- Closely work with the Programme Manager, National Coordinators and Technical Officers in each country to develop blogs, and other communication products.
- Develop systems and processes to enable program team and stakeholders to easily access and training and learning materials.
- Develop content and manage the Programme webpage in English in coordination with the INBAR HQ Communication Team.
- Strengthen the capacity of team members in the three countries to generate content, images and other communication products that amplify the work of communication of the project in general.
- Other tasks as reasonably requested by your supervisor.
- A minimum five years of work experience in communication or related areas with sustainable development, natural resource management, rural development, or similar nature.
- Proven experience in the development, execution and assessment of communication strategies, participation in the generation and implementation of communication, awareness-raining campaigns, development of communication materials and management of social media networks.
- Technical knowledge of a wide range of software used in communications, such as image and video editing softward, social media scheduling platforms, Microsoft Office and graphics editing and design software.
- Experience in similar positions in international organisations will be desirable.
At least a Bachelor’s degree in fields related to communication, journalism or related field. A postgraduate degree and experience in Forestry / NTFP will be valuable.
Excellent written and spoken English language skills. Amharic and Swahili language skills will be an added advantage.
The successful candidate should be willing to undertake extensive travel to beneficiary countries, as well as to other places as required.
Applications will be accepted until August 15, 2020 or until a suitable candidate is identified. All applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please send a cover letter demonstrating relevant experience as described in the above job description with filled Application Form (as attached)by email to: email@example.com. Please use “Dutch-Sino: Communication and KM Specialist — NAME” as the subject of the e-mail.