Community Engagement Advisor (Consultancy) – RTI International is a research institute based in North Carolina, USA of 5000 employees with worldwide experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. We have extensive experience implementing a variety of projects worldwide focusing on energy efficiency, utility turnaround, raising private financing for energy infrastructure, working with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks, and increasing access.
Responsibilities of Community Engagement Advisor (Consultancy):
RTI is seeking a Community Engagement Advisor for the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP) under the Power Africa initiative by USAID. This person will support strategies for Ethiopia Electric Power (EEP) and Ethiopia Electric Utility (EEU) based on scoping conversations between the utilities and EAEP.
- The advisor will work closely with stakeholders including the Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Climate Change and the Ethiopian Public Private Partnership Directorate. EEP and EEU both engage in activities that require frequent community engagement and advisor will improve their practices with advisory assistance that will provide recommendations, gap analyses, strategies for mitigation of risks, and implementation plans for priority works.This position will have responsibilities in Ethiopia for consistent work with Ethiopian utilities and will be expected to travel there. This is a short-term technical assistance (STTA) position with an estimated period of performance of up to 12 months from start date. The position can be based anywhere with an ability to travel to Ethiopia as needed.Specific Responsibilities:
– The Community Engagement Advisor support for EEP to improve community engagement practices during project design and implementation of generation and transmission projects;
– The Community Engagement Advisor support for EEU to improve community engagement practices to address existing challenges, mitigate future risks, and enhance customer relations; and
– To act as a Community Engagement Advisor for the “Optimization of Existing Hydropower Plants” Activity. EEP and the Ministry of Water, Irrigation, and Energy (MoWIE) requested EAEP support for optimization of select, existing hydropower assets and community engagement expertise is required in this assessment.
– Identify, strengthen and develop mechanisms and social accountability tools civil society dialogue, advocacy and oversight with EEU and EEP.
– Identify strategies to promote civic participation and oversight for specific scopes of work with EEU and EEP.
Required minimum qualification and experience:
– Master’s degree in social science, business, policy, or other relevant field.
– 10 years of experience working with the local governance energy projects in developing and least developed countries, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa, to strengthen and develop mechanisms for engagement of civil society in advocacy and oversight. Experience in Ethiopia/and or East Africa region preferred.
– Demonstrable experience in preparing written strategies, scopes of work, surveys, research concepts, and donor partner deliverables required.
– Demonstratable experience providing capacity building through training in-person and/or virtually to energy professionals regarding community engagement required.
– Excellent writing capabilities in English required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Exceptional and demonstrated ability to influence and build consensus across diverse groups perspectives.
– Excellent word processing, presentation, and research skills required.
– Language skills in Amharic and Kiswahili will be preferred.
Ethics Notice: No one at RTI may ever demand payment for anything of value in exchange for anything related to the hiring process (including, for example, for applying for, interviewing for, or receiving any offer of employment). If any such request is made, please report this request confidentially to RTI’s Ethics office at HRethics@rti.org. Any payment made will disqualify any applicant from future employment at RTI. Please only use the HRethics@rti.org email address to report ethics concerns; any job applications sent to this email address will not be processed.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.