Danish Refugee Council Seek Programme Assistant Trainee Dakar Senegal
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in West Africa since 1998. The DRC West Africa Regional Office (hereafter: WARO) is based in Dakar, Senegal, and covers six countries outside of Senegal. Led by the Regional Director, the DRC WARO oversees, supports and provides strategic directions for DRC’s Country Offices within the region, which currently includes Mali, Burkina Faso, the Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and the Central African Republic.
Based in the DRC West Africa Regional Office (hereafter: WARO), the Program Assistant Trainee will support the development and quality review of donor proposals and reports covered by the WARO. He will also contribute to create tailored communication and advocacy products and assist in the organization of regional internal and external program events. The Trainee will work intensively with the Program Department and will have interactions with the Support services and Country Offices in the region. It is a unique opportunity to join a well-known international organization and benefit from a support adapted to the practical application of academic teaching.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the management of the Regional Head of Program services, and with the technical management of the Regional Head of Support Services, the Program Assistant Trainee will have the following activities and tasks:
- Assist in the review and/or development of concept notes, proposals, budget and amendments, in coordination with the regional program teams and according to priorities defined with the RHOP
- Assist in the revision of donor or program reports
- Work with the Regional Head of Programme to ensure concept note, proposal workflows and deadlines are followed by programme teams.
- Participate in the organisation of kick-off and closure meetings for regional projects, regional annual reviews and external events.
- Draft and/ or review communication and advocacy products based on information from country and regional teams according to priorities defined with the RHOP
- Develop regular external product on DRC strategy and program
- Ensure the compliance to DRC and Donors’ communication guideline
- Produce thematic maps for countries or regional team
All the tasks mentioned above will be primarily, for the DRC WARO. However, if manageable and only with the approval of the Regional Director, country offices may be included in the scope of the tasks ensured by the Program Assistant Trainee.
In addition to the above, the Program Assistant Trainee may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Regional Head of Programmes.
- Post-graduate degree/ University Degree (Bachelor or Master) in International Development/ Development Studies, International Relations, Economics, Political Science/ Public Affairs, Business Administration or Management, or another relevant field is required;
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management;
- Proven operational management experience and capability;
- Significant experience of grant management and understanding of institutional fund-raising;
- Proven significant financial management experience;
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels;
- Full professional fluency in French language (80% of the professional communication in this position will be done in French, including almost all the communication within the WARO);
- Proficiency (written and spoken of the English language;
- Understanding of the different contexts of the West Africa Region;
- Excellent Computer Skills (MS Office, Internet) and an advanced proficiency in Excel are required.
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are required
- Multi-tasking and Organizational skills are necessary
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Exemplary sense of ethics in the workplace
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request
- 10, 000 DKK monthly allowance
- Insurances 100% paid for by DRC
- Accomodation 100% paid for by DRC in a guesthouse
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot employ, under an international traineeship or volunteering agreement, a citizen of the country in which she/ he is going to be stationed (in such case, the Republic of Senegal).
You are welcome to contact the Regional Head of Program, email@example.com , for additional information regarding the position.
Applications close on the 04th of August 2020, at 5 p.m. (Dakar-time). Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline