Deputy Chief of Party, “Building Egypt’s Skilled Workforce – Established in 1946, the American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of the world’s largest behavioral and social science research and evaluation organizations. Our mission is to generate and use rigorous evidence that contributes to a better, more equitable world. AIR works with federal, state, and local government agencies, philanthropies and other organizations to conduct research and evaluation and provide technical assistance in the areas of education, health and workforce development, in the U.S. and abroad.
AIR’s International Development Program seeks to enhance the capacity of people in developing countries to improve their quality of life through education and social development. We have worked in collaboration with local and international stakeholders in more than 80 countries over the past three decades.
Responsibilities of Deputy Chief of Party
AIR is seeking a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to help lead a five year, USAID-funded Building Egypt’s Skilled Workforce activity in Cairo. This activity will focus on interventions aimed at achieving the following results: 1) Modernizing and improving the quality of Egypt’s technical and vocational education and training (TVET) system in order to develop the technical skills and capabilities demanded by a globally competitive private sector; 2) Improving human resource management at the firm level and ensuring strong private sector engagement with the TVET system to maximize employment opportunities for graduates; and 3) Improving the enabling environment through employment and labor market policy reform to address inefficiencies at local and national levels.
The DCOP will work with the Chief of Party (COP) by providing operational management in support of activity implementation. Other responsibilities include:
- In the absence of the COP, will be responsible for management of the technical activities and implementation of the project
- The Deputy Chief of Party support the COP in all technical, operational, and management aspects of the project and ensure that all appropriate reporting requirements are met
- Ensure the timely preparation of required reports and deliverables, including quarterly, annual, and financial reports in accordance with USAID guidelines
- Ensure project activities meet client expectations and that project results and accomplishments are disseminated appropriately
- The Deputy Chief of Party represent the project in local, national, and international meetings and events in the absence of the COP
- Masters’ degree in international development, economics, business, education, or other relevant field
- Eight years of experience in a leadership position working with programs that are of a similar scope to this activity
- Demonstrated technical knowledge in TVET systems, Positive Youth Development (PYD), demand-driven training, soft skills development, human resource management, MSME strengthening, financial inclusion or related fields
- Prior experience implementing economic growth programs in the MENA region
- Sound knowledge of USAID rules and regulations
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills are required
- Fluency in Arabic and English, written and spoken
Local nationals are encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
AIR also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.