Embassy Jobs in Angola-Political Officer British Embassy in Angola is looking for Political Officer to based in Luanda, Angola.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Economic and Prosperity
29 August 2020
1 October 2020
Main purpose of job-Embassy Jobs in Angola
Working for the British Embassy in Angola gives you a unique opportunity to make a real difference. We build a more secure and prosperous world, for the benefit of both the UK and the greater global good.
Our staff are talented and dedicated, working on the most pressing and high-profile global issues. Working with us can be challenging, but is exciting and rewarding.
Angola, sub-Saharan Africa’s 4th largest economy, is undergoing momentous political and economic change. There is great appetite to deliver economic reform and to improve the business environment following decades of over reliance on the oil sector. This varied and stretching role will support the UK’s agenda on Security and Stability.
Roles and responsibilities-Embassy Jobs in Angola
- Contribute to the priorities of the British Embassy in Luanda by supporting bilateral cooperation between the UK and Angola, the UK and Sao Tome and Principe and the wider region.
- Deliver timely analysis or regional dynamics across a range of key aspects including security, migration, and commerce/economics to reflect steps towards greater cohesion and cooperation as well as potential risks to stability for Angola, the Great Lakes Region and wider (particularly SADC, the African Union and the development of the new African Continental Free Trade Area). Support the UK-Angola Defence agenda, including monitoring and reporting on Angolan defence policies and priorities and the state and posture of the Angolan military and relevant government agreements, acquisitions. Organise and deliver visits for the non-resident Defence Attaché and his team. Support progress towards delivery of a bilateral Defence Memorandum of Understanding.
- Provide analysis of Angola’s efforts to combat corruption and serious organised crime, reporting on judicial processes and changes to legislation. Build capacity of relevant agencies by increasing appetite for and supporting the delivery of UK-led training, knowledge sharing, technical assistance and international conferences.
- Identify, cultivate and maintain key contacts in the government, private sector, academia, civil society and the media, throughout Angola including its regions.
- Demonstrate flexibility as the role may evolve to meet British Government’s priorities. Support the wider Political and Economic Diplomacy team with other tasks as required, including, for example visit programmes, English/Portuguese translation and drafting official correspondence.
- Support the wider Political and Economic Diplomacy team with other tasks as required, including, for example visit programmes, English / Portuguese translation and drafting official correspondence.
- This role offers real scope for professional and personal development and will suit individuals who are driven yet enjoy working in a collegiate, professional team.
- Undergraduate Degree in a relevant area such as International Relations or Politics
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of regional multilateral relations
- Experience or demonstrated ability to research and deliver political analysis to tight deadlines with experience of gathering, summarising and presenting information to a high standard.
Language: Fluent English and Portuguese
- Experience of preparing and delivering programmes for visiting officials
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
We have a strong learning and development culture. Through the FCO Diplomatic Academy learning facility, we ensure our employees have the required knowledge and expertise.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Luanda are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Angola.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Angola without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-frameworkPlease note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application