Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) is the continent with the largest proportion of young people in the population (70 percent of its rapidly increasing population are below the age of 30).
This is also the case for Malawi: The population is very young (44 percent younger than 15 years; 34 percent aged between 15 and 35 years) and is expected to double until 2050 (43.2 million compared to 17.5 million in 2018). Due to limited employment opportunities in the manufacturing and service sectors, the agricultural and food industry must continue to provide a large proportion of the jobs and income opportunities for the young generation in the short and medium-term. It is estimated that food demand will increase by 55 % due to a growing population and urbanization by 2030.
In order to improve the employment situation of young people in rural areas within the framework of the country packages, the GV follows the integrated approach to employment promotion, which aims to improve employment effects through the identification and coordination of measures in the areas of labour demand, labour supply and job placement/matching as well as active labour market policies and instruments and includes the creation of a favourable economic and employment policy framework.
Position: Team Leader (30% intermittent)
Sector: Agriculture & Agribusiness
Tasks of the Teamleader
- Overall responsibility for the advisory package of the contractor;
- Ensuring the coherence and complementarity of the services of the contractor with other services delivered by the programme at the local and national level;
- Strategy, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacity development measures;
- Consideration of cross-cutting themes (e.g. gender equality);
- Personnel management, in particular identifying the need for short-term assignments within the available budget, as well as planning and steering assignments and supporting local and international short-term experts;
- Ensuring results-based monitoring is conducted;
- Regular reporting in accordance with deadlines;
- Responsibility for controlling the use of funds and financial planning in consultation with GIZ’s officer responsible for the commission;
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in updating/adapting the project strategy, in evaluations and in preparing a follow-on phase
- University qualification in agriculture, economics, agricultural economy, geography, or related study topics;
- Very good business language skills in English (CEFRL: C1), German is an asset;
- 10 years of professional experience in the rural development and employment sector;
- 5 years in rural employment promotion with focus on youth, value chain development, adult education, MSME and Business promotion;
- 6 years of management/leadership experience as a project team leader or manager in a company;
- 3 years of experience in projects in Southern Africa (region);
- 6 years of experience in DC projects;
- Experience in financial management.
Start / Duration:
Team leader(s): Assignment for 12 expert months
Please send your most recent CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org