External Consultancy Budget Analyses and Citizens Perception Survey of Governance and Service Delivery in Taraba State
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Background and Justification
The produce and sell (PROSELL) European Union support to food security and resilience project in Taraba state on sustainable livelihood that is aimed at building resilience of smallholder farmer in commodity value chain and rural enterprise in Taraba State. The PROSELL achievement can only be measured in the delivery of service that model the demonstration of poverty eradication programmes with a proof of component/concept for sustainable livelihood intervention for vulnerable people. However, Government remain the sole custodian of state resources and has the sovereign power to focus on enhancement of livelihoods of its citizens through all means which also include the adequate provision of social and human security for the citizenry.
All over the world, Governments achieve this constitutional responsibility through the instrumentation of the Budget. More importantly, Governments ensure that its socioeconomic sector governance reflect the felt needs of its people, often elicited through the participatory process of Budgeting and Community development planning they conduct. However, in Nigeria, these participatory processes are often in-existent. Where they manage to exist, they are little or no accountability and transparency. Little wonder that year in year out, billions of Naira are expended especially by the State MDAs, but these investment do not to change anything including the status and levels of poverty that is highly entrenched and mostly visible in rural communities.
Parts of PROSELL’s support to the Government of Taraba is the training and institutionalising of participatory budget systems and Community Development Planning. To consolidate these interventions, PROSELL will be supporting the Government in the State to analyse their Budgets from 2016-2020 and conduct Citizens’ Perception of Governance and Service Delivery. The findings would not just be useful for PROSELL’s advocacy to Governments, but also will empower Civil Society Organizations, Local and State Legislatures as well as Community based monitors across the state, who would ensure findings and policy recommendations are actioned.
Objectives and Scope of the Consultancy
· To analyze and trend government revenue and spending to the subsectors of Agriculture, Health, Education, and Infrastructure and Water in Taraba from the period of 2016 – 2020.
· To analyze the gender responsiveness of the budgets under the review periods, i.e. 2016-2020.
· To identify gaps in past and recent allocations to these sectors, while highlighting recommendations to improving Government plans and policy to effectively transform the sectors’ service delivery.
· To analyze citizens perception of the State’s Governance and Services delivery which will provide key advocacy messaging for the Project to engaging Governments on participatory performance-based budgeting in the state.
Minimum Research Methodology
The Research Methods expected of the consultant would support an extensive desk review of important budget related documents, fiscal literatures, and a survey of citizens’ perception. Accordingly, the consultant will be required to review all the budget documents, including executive budget proposals, in-year reports, supplementary budget reports, budget performance, Budget speeches, MTEF and Auditors General reports from 2016-2020 amongst other relevant documents.
The information gathered would be extensively analysed, (including using gender lens), by:
- Sorting and Itemization– to summarily show the program priorities of the States from 2016-2020.
- Proportions and Percentages-to summarily describe the magnitudes of revenue and spending from 2016-2020
- Trend Analysis- to show the movements in revenue and spending from 2016-2020
- And Gap Analysis- to show performance and degree of alignment to state/ National/ International level Planning/Expectations.
Consultant should note that among the list of important literature for review shall be the planning documents such as State Strategic Development Plans, Fiscal Strategy Plan, Infrastructure Master Plan, Private Sector Engagement Plans and the National Sectoral Plans for Agriculture, Health, Education, Water and Infrastructure.
Similarly, in-depth review of the recommendations on budgeting for the respective subsectors by inter-governmental Organizations, Charities and other well-meaning development partners must be reviewed. The reviews will adequately facilitate the Gap Analysis to be undertaken and the key advocacy messaging for the Project to engaging the Governments of the two States.
To gauge the perception of the Citizens based on Governance and Service Delivery levels across the socio-economic sub-sectors, the consultant will be required to conduct a survey for a purposively sampled number of critical stakeholders in each of Agriculture, Health, Education, and Infrastructure and Water sub-sectors in the State. Since the motivation of the survey is to capture the perception of the users of government policy/programmes/projects in the socio-economic subsectors and the level of transparency and accountability in the State, the items of programmes/projects under the radar will come from the priorities of each State Government sorted during the Budget Analyses stage of this consultancy.
The expected Sample Frames are not limited to:
• Agriculture- Farmers Association (AFAN & RIFAN), Women and Youth Farming groups, Agro-allied based organizations, the Private sector organizations dealing in Agric produce/products, Commodity Traders and Marketers, Agro commodity Transporters, Agric Research Institutes, Extension Workers, CBOs in Agric, the Academia and other Development Partners in Agriculture. Other important stakeholders covering crop, livestock and fish value chains will as well be considered.
• Health- Representatives of Medical Associations at the State level including Nigerian Medical Women Association (MWAN), National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), Facility Health Management Committees, PHC Care workers, Community and Religious Leaders, and other Development Partners in Healthcare. Other important representatives might as well be considered at both State/ LGA level.
• Education- Representatives of CSOs in Education including Union of Teachers, Parents Teachers Associations, School Management Committees, Community and Religious Leaders, and other Development Partners in Education in the State. Other important representatives might as well be considered. Other important representatives might as well be considered.
• Infrastructure and Water- Community Based Organizations, District and Community Heads, Farmers Associations, State level Transport Associations, Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority and other relevant Development Partners in the State. Other important representatives might as well be considered.
The Survey methodology the Consultant would consider include:
- Key Informant Interviews
- And Focus Group Discussions
The Consultant is expected to deploy electronic data collection tools to administer the survey and compile the responses therefrom. Tools like ODK or Kobo could be used in this regard. Also, the scripted questions for the survey will be pre-tested for validity, accuracy, and reliability in a pilot scenario in conjunction with the Oxfam M&E and representatives of State Project Management Team. An elaborate analysis of the perception using descriptive and inferential statistics are expected from the consultant.
– The Comprehensive Report of not more than 30 pages consisting of Cover page, table of content with figures tagging, an executive summary, Report details, Key findings and Recommendation reflecting next steps.
– Not less than 10 pages Summary Presentation Slides for Advocacy purposes on the key three specific objective of the project.
– The Data Collection Tools and Data collected (raw and summarized)
– Important Action Pictures and other relevant files
Profile and Requirements of the Consultant
The Budget Analysis for Taraba State will be conducted by an independent consultant who will work in close collaboration with the PROSELL Project Management Team and the Partner Organizations. The consultant must have multi-disciplinary expertise with a key experience and expertise in State Governance and Public Finance.
Required Expertise: (Only Consultants resident in Nigeria should apply)
· Advanced degree/MSc degree in Public Finance, Social Science, Development Studies, Public Policy Management, Gender Studies and other related fields.
· Not less than 3 years’ experience of conducting political economy analysis, research and programme development;
· A demonstrated track record of carrying out similar type of assessments (sample attached).
· Excellent analytical, facilitation and report writing skills;
· Familiarity with socio-economic trends in Nigeria and a working knowledge of local language will be an asset;
· Experience with participatory budget technique using the Community development plan/charter approach.
· A solid and diversified experience within the livelihoods, food security/agriculture, environmental health, education, infrastructure development, water resources, governance sectors;
· Experience in strategic partners, interaction with host government, key stakeholders in listed sectors.
Tentative Time Schedule
29th July, 2020 – 20th August, 2020
Inception Meeting with the Project Management Team and Relevant State Government Stakeholders in Taraba.
Desk Review of Relevant Literature for the States
Highlight of key findings, recommendation and conclusion.
Pre testing and Validation of the Questionnaire for the Survey in the State.
Pre-determined Questions; Test of Validity, Accuracy and Reliability; Pilot Test
Finalization of assessment tools including scripting of questions on ODK/Kobo Tools
Link to assessment pages; Data Collection Tools
Data collection in the field
Links to assessment pages on ODK/Kobo; Important Pictures and records
Data analysis and preparation of draft report
Validation of Draft Report
Power Point presentation slide and Validated draft report
Finalization of the assessment and submitting final report.
Total= 20 Working days
Interested and qualified consultants who meet the qualification and experience outlined should download the RFQ package from OXFAM website: from https://nigeria.oxfam.org/get-involved-work-us/procurement-consultancy
All questions would be received in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 28th July 2020. Responses would be sent by COB of 30th July 20202.
Completed technical, financial proposal and Request for quotation form (RFQ) should be sent to email@example.com. on or before 3rd August 2020, referencing REQ01911 and the title in the subject of the email.
All Bids should include:
a) A cover letter introducing the consultant/firm and its team composition and specifying the role to be played by each team member.
b) A technical proposal of not more than 5 pages outlining how to execute the task with a clear framework, methodology and timelines. Proposed methodology should demonstrate clear understanding of the ToR (sampling framework, data collection strategy/methods
c) Resume of each consulting team members
d) Evidence of experience conducting similar assignments
e) Proposed budget clearly indicating consultant’s fee and all auxiliary costs in local currency (NGN).
Submission email: firstname.lastname@example.org**
Deadline of submission: 3rd August 2020**