Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
NPI EXPAND Overview
The New Partnerships Initiative (NPI) Expanding Health Partnerships—NPI EXPAND Project— is a five-year, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) funded project which aims to support Missions with increasing the availability and utilization of quality health services across all USAID priority health areas.
In line with the Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR), USAID is committed to expanding its range of implementing partners by investing in new and underutilized local partners (NUPs) and strengthening their capacity to strategize, plan, and implement health sector programs with USAID funds. Enhanced participation of capable local partners to increase demand for and deliver high-quality, high impact health services will enable governments to meet crucial health goals equitably and sustainably. NPI EXPAND will catalyze opportunities to scale up innovative interventions by strengthening the capacity of NUPs with varying levels of capabilities and exposure to USAID.
NPI EXPAND Senegal Activities Overview
The goal of the NPI EXPAND activity in Senegal is to increase access to quality priority products and services including family planning and maternal, neonatal and child health products and services and to increase the commitment of individuals and communities in the management of their health services.
NPI EXPAND will achieve these goals by meeting the following objectives:
- Strengthen the sustainability and organizational capacity of key NGOs to successfully manage social marketing and health advocacy programs as prime recipients of USAID funding.
- Increase utilization of priority health products and services including socially marketed contraceptives and FP services, water treatment products and mosquito nets.
- Increased adoption of innovative health practices, increased adoption of innovative technologies by the health sector, and scaling of underused health innovations.
The NPI EXPAND Senegal Finance and Operations Manager will provide direct start-up support and is responsible, under the leadership of the Country Team Lead (CTL) and senior management, in the management and implementation of effective and efficient operational, financial and compliance activities that deliver the project in accordance with contractual obligations, company policies, Group Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Guidelines and client rules and regulations. This position will report administratively, on a day-to-day basis, to the Country Team Lead, with functional reporting to the Manager, Project Delivery in Washington, DC.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance and Operations Manager will be expected to:
- Assist in overseeing overall operations at the project office, managing, and providing operations and finance support, guidance and oversight;
- Collaborate with the in-country team to manage and forecast office’s cash needs, submitting Funds Transfer Requests (FTRs) to HQ in a timely manner;
- Regularly review operations and cash management practices, developing and optimizing internal operations policies, and providing feedback on risk mitigation strategies;
- Procure goods and/or services as per the procurement policies and client regulations including obtaining appropriate relevant authorizations, maintaining vendor lists, solicitation of quotations/proposals, documentation of procurement decisions and contracts, and managing vendor relationships throughout the full agreement life cycle;
- Ensure timely receipt of quality services/goods and best value for the price collaborating with project staff to monitor performance and achievement of deliverables as per respective agreements before processing of payment(s) to vendors;
- Manage office facilities, equipment, assets, IT, etc. and maintain accurate assets registers;
Adhere to and train relevant staff in all project administrative and operations policies and procedures;
- Coordinate with the HQ Project Delivery team to initiate vetting processes for vendors, consultants, new hires, etc.;
- Complete, review, approve, and/or submit financial documents such as payroll, vouchers, invoices, delivery notes, purchase orders and other documents to ensure the completeness, accuracy, and validity of financial data;
- Manage and monitor disbursement of funds from the project bank account ensuring adherence to internal controls and compliance with Palladium’s financial policies and procedures;
- Serve as primary point of contact for local team on all Human Resources-related issues, advising in accordance with Palladium policies and escalating to HQ as needed;
- Draft contractual documents to be approved by the CTL and/or HQ Project Delivery team;
- Support HQ’s Project Delivery team to prepare for periodic audits as may be required;
- Maintain systems for tracking contractual documents, correspondence and reporting, keeping contract files updated for spot checks and audits;
- Initiate thorough, effective and proactive correspondence requests for contract modifications and approvals such as: scope adjustments, personnel changes, budget realignments, performance period changes, implementing partner changes, consultant approval, etc.;
- Coordinate activities between program management, customers, and outside parties which may include making travel arrangements, external meeting accommodations, etc.;
- Ensure applicable tax withholding, VAT and deductions are applied as per Liberian laws and regulations on all payments;
- Collaborate with the in-country team to calculate and submit cost share reporting and supporting documentation to HQ on a monthly basis;
- Support senior management staff to ensure project deliverables are met;
- Review financial and operational content for appropriate project reports;
- Support the annual workplan process and other strategic planning processes;
- Other duties as assigned under the NPI EXPAND project.
Period and Location of Performance
Period of performance is one year, with annual renewal based on performance and funding availability. Location for this engagement is Dakar with travel in-country. Some international travel may be required to support other NPI EXPAND activities, attend meetings or participate in conferences or workshops. Only Senegalese nationals currently residing in Senegal will be considered for this position.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, or business administration from a recognized academic institution; MBA or similar is an advantage;
- Proven competency in planning, organizing, and implementing operational activities as well as managing expenditures within budget(s);
- Strong experience in broader finance, accounts, and operations management with a proven understanding of business operations and controls. Experience with international organizations and USAID regulations (including office management, HR, finance, IT, and logistics) is advantageous and highly preferable;
- Ability to communicate effectively and excellent interpersonal skills to form effective working relationships at all levels;
- Sound written and verbal communication skills in English and French;
- Strong, demonstrated organizational, critical thinking, problem-solving, sound judgement and decision-making skills to ensure activities, schedules and progress are on schedule, reviewed and monitored;
- Ability to work with a low level of supervision and as a part of a team when required, serve effectively as a cross-functional team member;
- High level of computer literacy, proficiency in MS Office Applications such as Excel is an added advantage;
- Experience appropriately handling sensitive issues and consistently maintaining a high level of confidentiality at all times;
- Senegalese nationality.