GIZ Job Sudan is looking for Advisor (m/f/d) of the component on agricultural value chains – Gedaref/Sudan.As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
The program “Food security and water supply for refugees and host communities in Gedaref and Kassala” funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the European Union (EU) intervenes in three areas: Action field 1 aims to increase income from agricultural Production with the help of water management adapted to climate change and diversification. Action area 2 promotes the design of household gardens with the aim of increasing the availability and access to food rich in vitamins, while training courses on balanced nutrition promote their appropriate use. Action area 3 includes improving access to clean water and sanitary facilities through infrastructure measures, as well as carrying out capacity building for the operation and maintenance of such facilities and training on appropriate hygiene practices. The EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa co-finances action area 1 with the project “Integrated measures to promote added value and employment in rural and urban areas” (IMPROVE). IMPROVE supports value chain development (VCD). The main objectives are: (1) increasing farmers’ income; (2) Provide viable solutions to adapt agricultural systems to markets and climate variability; (3) Provide farmers with new climate change techniques to increase their production.
- Technical development and planning of project activities based on the results of a value chain analysis in cooperation with relevant stakeholders
- Ensuring the professional quality of the outputs and results in the implementation of all activities in the area of Value Chain Development as well as close cooperation with the technical coordinator of the field advisors
- Ensuring the integration of cross-sectional topics and core modules in all supported value chains
- Building relationships with local agricultural communities, organizations, non-governmental structures, private sector actors and partner organizations
- Advising the industry associations and relevant actors on the development and integration of agricultural innovations as well as agricultural training and further education
- Support in planning and management tasks as well as reporting
- Participation in and organization of formats of the integrated north-south exchange as well as in transnational working groups
- Ensuring synergies with other technical cooperation projects as well as representation in donor groups, towards other donors and in the German development cooperation
- Completed university degree in agricultural sciences, economics, business administration or vocational training in agriculture
- Many years of professional experience in international cooperation in rural areas
- Proven practical experience in innovation-oriented agricultural advice
- Experience in the fields of renewable energies, ecological agriculture/organic farming
- A high level of analytical competence and the ability to present technical measures in an understandable manner
- Intercultural flair, diplomatic skills, confident demeanour as well as very good self-organization, resilience and flexibility
- Very good knowledge of dealing with information and communication software as well as project management tools
- Fluency in English and German; Arabic skills are an advantage
The location Gedaref is characterized by a hot and dry climate and a 5-month rainy season. Limited integration possibilities, poorly available social compensation mechanisms, limited recreational opportunities and limited mobility; temporary power cuts. No adequate basic medical care available in East Sudan (hospital; hygiene, equipment). Shopping and basic supply possibilities in Gedaref are good, additional goods and commodities are available in Khartoum. Distance from Khartoum to Gedaref is about 5.5 hours on a 400 km long tarred road.
The security situation is critically tense. It requires continuous monitoring and special security risk mitigation measures for GIZ staff. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is severely restricted. It is not possible for life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
How to apply
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 08/31/2020.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=50929
You can find this job under the Job-ID P1533V4439.