GIZ Jobs-Exciting career opportunity for Procurement Officer at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. Since 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city, Abuja.
GIZ’s activities in Nigeria are commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the German Federal Foreign Office (AA). Other partners include the European Union in the fields of peace and security and energy and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in the field of agricultural value chains. The activities focus on the following:
- Economic Development and Employment
- Security, Reconstruction and Peace
- Governance and Democracy
In the focal area of economic development and employment, GIZ aims to increase employment and income generation, as well as access to finances for micro, small and medium-sized enterprises. Through demand-oriented vocational training measures, GIZ assists partners to adapt vocational training programmes to market needs. In support of BMZ’s Digital Africa Initiative, an enabling environment is established for young tech entrepreneurs. Along various agricultural value chains, GIZ further strengthens the income, employment and food security of smallholder farmers.
Moreover, GIZ provides migration and reintegration advice to both returning migrants and the local population, and carries out employability promotion measures, including referral services to targeted vocational skills development and entrepreneurial trainings.
Job Description-GIZ Jobs-Exciting career opportunity for Procurement Officer
The Procurement Officer is responsible for:
▪ Purchasing services for the GIZ office and GIZ- assisted projects/programmes in accordance with GIZ rules and conditions.
▪ Informing projects and programmes on time about the status of procurement and customs matters, particularly in the event of delays.
▪ Coordinating effectively with colleagues in the administration division and with the procurement officers at Head Office.
The Procurement Officer performs the following tasks:
Procurement of goods and services
The Procurement Officer
▪ In accordance with GIZ regulations, procures goods and services locally, processes invitations to tender and subsequently orders.
▪ Monitors the markets for goods and services
▪ Enters and maintains data relevant for procurement and tenders in ProSoft and /or CoSoft.
▪ Enters purchase requisitions and confirmation of receipts of goods through “Beschaffung Omline” for procurement through Head Office.
▪ Documents and files completed order transactions in reference files and in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules.
▪ Accepts goods and ensures that the receipt is documented, and goods received are checked appropriately.
▪ Arranges for the safe transfer of goods to their destination and notifies projects and programmes of delivery location and time, processing cases of damage in transport.
▪ Informs projects and programmes on time about the status of procurement of goods and services, particularly in the event of delays.
▪ Coordinates effectively with colleagues in the Administration division and with procurement officers at GIZ Headquarters.
▪ Uses external service providers to complete customs declarations procedures.
The Procurement Officer
▪ Is responsible for the procurement of goods and services in the GIZ Country Office.
▪ Ensures that the processes of procurement of goods and services run smoothly and that projects/programmes are always well informed about the status of their requests.
Other duties/additional tasks
The Procurement Officer
▪ Collaborates with the accounts team in invoice analysis and ensures proper preparation and execution of payment orders.
▪ Purchasing materials, equipment and services for the GIZ office and GIZ- assisted projects/programmes in accordance with GIZ rules and conditions
▪ performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
▪ BSc in Economics, Finance, Accountancy or a related field.
▪ At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position.
Other knowledge, additional competences:
▪ Outstanding knowledge of purchasing.
▪ Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
▪ Knowledge of German is an advantage.
▪ Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
▪ Good organisational skills
▪ A good team player who is willing to take on responsibility.
▪ Innovative and possessing a positive attitude to change.