IFAD Job Morocco-Remittances and Inclusive Digital Finance
Skill Required: IT and ICT
Preferred Experience: 7 to 10 Year
Closing Date for Applications: 27th August, 2020
Job Description-IFAD Job
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
To achieve this goal, IFAD pursues three closely interlinked strategic objectives: to increase poor rural people’s productive capacities; increase poor rural people’s benefits from market participation; and strengthen the environmental sustainability and climate resilience of poor rural people’s economic activities.
The Sustainable Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI) of the Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD), provides technical support to IFAD Country Programmes to ensure the proper application of corporate quality standards required for achieving development results and impact in key thematic areas, including food production systems (i.e. fisheries, livestock, and agronomy), land, natural resources management, water and rural infrastructure, financial services, rural markets and enterprises and rural institutions. It contributes to the generation of evidence and knowledge on these themes, and facilitates their use in IFAD projects and activities.
The Financing Facility for Remittances (FFR) is a multi-donor facility administered by IFAD under the PMI Division, which has been working since 2006 with the goal of increasing the development impact of remittances and enabling poor rural households to advance on the road to financial independence. The Facility’s portfolio currently includes more than 60 migration and remittance-related, grant-funded projects in around 50 countries.
In 2019, IFAD’s FFR and the European Union (EU) launched the Platform for Remittances, Investments and Migrants’ Entrepreneurship in Africa (PRIME Africa). The initiative aims to reduce inequality and enhance financial inclusion in Africa through the reduction of remittance costs and the maximization of their impact. The initiative will intervene in nine African countries, namely, in Northern Africa: Morocco; in Western and Central Africa: Cape Verde, The Gambia, Ghana and Senegal; in Eastern and Southern Africa: Ethiopia, Kenya, South Africa and Uganda.
The Remittances and Inclusive Digital Finance (RIDF) consultant will be based in Morocco, with frequent missions to other relevant countries covered by the PRIME Africa programme and to IFAD HQs. Mission travel costs will be covered by the programme. S/He will work under the supervision and the overall strategic, policy and management guidance of the Senior Technical Specialist and Manager of the FFR, and in close collaboration with the FFR team. S/He will also work closely with the country programme managers (CPMs) and their teams of the relevant countries to ensure consistency, cohesion and synergy in the application of technical support and provision of programme development support.
Operational support-IFAD Job
The consultant will contribute to the planning and implementation of the FFR strategy and operations on remittances in the country, focusing in particular on the activities of the PRIME Africa programme. In particular, s/he will support the national response to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on remittances, through the National Remittance Task Force / National Remittance Stakeholder Network and lay the groundwork for the implementation of immediate short- and medium-term actions. This will involve liaising and coordinating day-to-day activities with programme partners in the countries under direct supervision of the Manager of the FFR.
KM and dissemination
The consultant will support the knowledge management, communication and awareness campaign efforts at national level to expand partnerships and create new ones. S/he may also serve as a PMI resource person for IFAD’s country office on the specific thematic areas of remittances, migration and development
Key results expected / Major functional activities-IFAD Job
The consultant will support the FFR team in the planning and implementation of the PRIME Africa programme at country level, by identifying, designing and monitoring activities under direct supervision. The Main activities and results expected include:
- Vacancy Announcement Number Date of Issue Deadline for Applications Organizational Unit Duty Station Duration of Assignment
- support the in-depth assessment of the national remittance market in Morocco;
- identify and build partnerships with all key relevant counterparts in the institutions (government, Ministry of Finance, Bank Al-Maghrib, other ministries and regulatory institutions); private sector stakeholders (MFIs, Mobile NetworksPosts, FinTechs, MTOs, others); and international and civil society organizations involved in the field of remittances, digital finance and financial inclusion;
- set up and manage the National Remittance Task Force (NRTF) / National Remittance Stakeholder Network (NRSN) with the involvement all key actors in the country;
- provide technical expertise on international remittances, digital payments and financial inclusion, in the identification, elaboration and assessment (in accordance with the existing FFR approach) of technical opportunities, proposals and feasibility studies for development projects and programmes, and monitoring their execution, in particular as response to the Covid-19 impact on the remittance market;
- supervise and undertake continuous analyses on the status of the FFR projects in Morocco; review of periodic progress reports submitted by FFR projects and compile information already available on ongoing projects;
- liaise with FFR partners for the collection and review of ad-hoc operational and financial reports, the cross-checking and clearance of data and supporting documentation, and support the FFR Secretariat in the compilation of all final data for annual narrative and financial reports to be submitted to donors;
- undertake project missions as necessary;
- facilitate proper alignment of FFR activities and resources with IFAD corporate priorities and collaborates with FFR stakeholders;
- provide technical, analytical input on remittances, digital finance and financial inclusion to IFAD country strategic opportunity papers (COSOPs), project designs as well as to other policy documents related to remittances, migration and development, where relevant and whenever requested;
- review proposals for small and large grants as required;
- share knowledge and experience generated through activities such as analytical studies and grants with colleagues in the FFR team, the relevant IFAD country office, as well as the PMI division;
- establish and maintain a network of peer contacts in the countries to keep up-to-date on activities at the country and regional levels, to support joint advocacy and for knowledge sharing to enhance the FFR profile as a highly competent and viable partner in the field of remittances, migration and development; and
- undertake any other assignment that might arise during the consultancy.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators-IFAD Job
The assignment requires the provision of technical expertise and input for the full period. The key performance indicators for the assignment include: (i) engaging with country stakeholders and guiding them through enhanced cooperation and design processes; (ii) coordinating stakeholder networks and design processes ensuring the quality and timeliness of inputs; and (iii) delivery of final outputs in the form of roadmaps for action including objectives, activities, results, implementation arrangements, costs, economic analyses, M&E plan, among others.
The work goes beyond technical analysis and synthesis to include substantive inputs to project design, knowledge sharing among peers and counterparts to enhance cooperation, complementarity and synergy and monitoring and evaluation to measure and report on lessons learned and best practices. The work is considered moderately complex requiring in-depth technical analysis and reporting. Typically operating as a Remittances and Digital Finance expert at the country level, the consultant’s work may be reviewed for technical accuracy, but more typically is reviewed for achieving the established work plan.
The RIDF consultant is accountable for quality, substantive input and ability to project a competent and trusted image of the Fund to partners within IFAD and globally.
Representation / Work relationships-IFAD Job
The RIDF consultant will be under the overall supervision of the FFR manager, and work in close collaboration with the entire FFR team and IFAD country team. In addition, the consultant may represent the FFR at the country level, as s/he will be required to collaborate closely with government representatives, key stakeholders and the FFR technical and financial partners in the country.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence
- Demonstrating leadership: Personal leadership and attitude to change
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Continuously seeks to learn, shares knowledge and innovates
- Focusing on clients: Focuses on clients
- Problem solving and decision making: Demonstrates sound problem-solving and decision-making ability
- Managing time, resources and information: Manages own time, information and resources effectively
- Proven and strong technical expertise at the country level on remittances, digital finance and financial inclusion
- Working knowledge of current developments in remittances, payment systems, digital finance and microfinance
- Adequate understanding of the national remittances market and its payment systems
- Adequate knowledge of the national legal and regulatory issues related to remittances and digital finance, regulations, such as know your customer and bank agency rules, as well as good knowledge of its main actors
- Understanding of international migration and development policies
- Experience in working on implementation of projects on remittances and digital payments, including with banks and mobile network operators
- Experience in developing and monitoring key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Deep knowledge of the Project Cycle Management and of Monitoring and Evaluation
- Skill in the design and coordination of technical research and identification of solutions to evolving issues
- Ability to share technical guidance/knowledge at the peer level
- Results-oriented performer: ability to deliver high-quality outputs under pressure as part of a multicultural team
- Negotiator and communicator: works effectively with others to meet mutual goals, negotiates to align parties, builds networks, listens and communicates effectively to engage others
- Planner and organizer: ability to set clear priorities within a boundless and often challenging agenda with tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to formulate new approaches in respect of resources management and outreach-related activities
- Diplomatic communication and negotiation skills to establish and maintain trusted partnerships for achievement of objectives and to develop close and effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to contribute to formulation of strategies and policies.
- Team worker: capacity to work in diverse, multidisciplinary team environment and to establish harmonious working relationships.
- Model of integrity, trustworthy and confident: highest standards of personal
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in the field of specialization, e.g. Economics, Finance, Migration, International relations, International Development, Political Sciences, or related field.
- At least 7 years progressively responsible experience in, and demonstrated understanding of, development initiatives in the field of remittances, payment systems, digital finance, financial inclusion and development related issues. Experience in fieldwork and international policy frameworks. Related to rural development is an asset.