IFRC Jobs in Kenya-The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) seek to recruits the following positions for Nairobi, Kenya Office:
Job Title: Senior PMER Officer
Family Duty Station
- To coordinate with National Societies in the East Africa and Indian Ocean Islands Cluster and the Regional Representation Office in ensuring that the elements of programme quality are considered, prioritized and resourced in programme set up, development and learning processes and systems in terms program design, emergency plans of action and reports.
- Provide oversight and technical guidance to national societies and regional programme staff in programme planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
- Lead in quality assurance of program proposals, emergency plans of action and reports as a major contribution to the mobilization of funds for the Federation programmes and donor compliance.
- To provide technical support and facilitate greater emphasis on outcomes, impact and learning through strengthening monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Collaborate with Regional NSD unit in EAIOI NS capacity building initiatives through NS self-assessments and strategic planning processes.
Maintain relations with external partners on PMER including RCRC partners, institutional donors and other humanitarian actors
Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (PMER) Compliance
- Ensure that project managers submit regular, timely and accurate narrative reports, including coordinating and providing appropriate training and capacity building of all staff and delegates to fulfil their responsibility for ensuring program quality and impact.
- Conduct PMER capacity assessments of targeted NS and development of NS action plans.
- Program Management/ Analysis:
- Provide technical support to programme management in developing and reviewing country and cluster strategies, thematic plans, and annual operational plan development
- Analyse the key challenges in quality programming and consistency with established standards. A key focus of the role is ensuring that critical cross-cutting issues (alignment with Sustainable Development Goals and Hyogo Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction; quality, accountability and learning, partnerships and civil society engagement; Red Cross/Red Crescent collaboration; promoting gender equity and diversity; risk identification and management) are mainstreamed in programs and emergency operations.
- Facilitate inter-sectoral planning and integration of common strategies into programme planning processes, and harmonization of various internal planning processes.
- Actively contribute during project planning meetings with all programmes (regional, bilateral) to ensure that reporting on activities will be impact-based and result-oriented and reflect detailed log frames and budgets of each programme.
- Compile accurate, regular, timely and consistent narrative appeals and reports in standard formats for the Federation and for donors; compile other reports and information materials as required both within and outside the Red Cross Movement.
- Provide technical guidance on the documentation processes for the best practices and lessons learnt based on programme approaches pertinent to the implementation of relief and development interventions.
- As a member of the Regional Disaster Response Task Force, ensure proper planning and input of all reporting aspects during the preparation of Emergency Appeals in close consultation with the Disaster Management department (number and timing of operations updates, inclusion of reporting support in the appeal budget).
- Contribute to strengthening the region’s internal system of accessing appeals and reports from the region in a regional electronic data base in coordination with the IT department and the Regional Reporting Unit
- Coordinate all planning and reporting issues with the Regional Reporting Unit and the Regional Finance Unit for better harmonization of the system in the field.
- Improve the use of statistics, maps, photos, etc. in reports and develop a specific filing/database system for easy retrieving of materials by interested parties.
Monitoring and Evaluation systems development
- Establish monitoring and evaluation systems within the EAIOI cluster
- Provide technical support to cluster program staff and NS in developing monitoring tools
- Capacity building of staff on monitoring and evaluation
- In collaboration with program staff and NS, conduct monitoring visits to project sites to ensure compliance and accountability to donors and communities.
- Supports program staff, national societies, and partner national societies in development of evaluation terms of reference.
- Undertake evaluation of programs within the EAIOI cluster.
- Ensure learning from program evaluation towards continuous program improvement.
Capacity building of National Societies
- Work with national societies and provide technical support in setting up and operationalizing appropriate internal and external planning and reporting systems.
- Working closely with the NS PMER focal points and programme managers, in particular in providing support, on the job coaching, training and development for NS HQ/regional and branch level staff to enhance their planning monitoring and reporting skills.
- Working closely and coaching NS PMER focal points and programme managers to ensure development of standardized tools/templates and compliance with the same.
- Developing planning monitoring and reporting templates/tools for ongoing programme /emergency operations and orienting NS programme staff on the same for effective/timely reporting.
- Work with National Societies and provide technical support in setting up monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Provide coordinated planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting related training for National Society staff and Federation regional staff, and through them when required, for the various networks and working groups they support (RC-NET)
- Monitor expenditure on PMER pledges, ensuring expenditure on PMER pledges are in line with the budgets.
- Identify opportunities for funding of PMER activities
Degree level (or equivalent qualification) in social sciences, international development, communications, or another relevant subject
Minimum of 7 years relevant experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning for an international organization
Demonstrable experience in research and compilation of information, preparing and writing quality technical plans and reports
Demonstrable experience in the project cycle management (logical framework design, monitoring and evaluation cycle).
Proven experience in building relationships with multiple stakeholders across multiple countries and teams
Experience in developing monitoring and evaluation mechanisms with impact indicators
- Strong background in report-writing and product delivery to tight deadlines. Ability to write, edit and analyse complex reports
- Sound background of social research methodologies, including a highly developed analytical and communication skills and ability to assimilate and process information for wide-ranging audiences
- Demonstrable understanding of processes involved in developing logical frameworks, including outcomes, outputs and impact indicators
- Skilled in building and maintaining key stakeholder relationships at a senior level both internally and externally
- Excellent computer skills. (e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat). Ability to perform page-layout, incorporating text, photos and other graphic elements for a printed page
- Data management skills- SPSS, KoBo collect, Ona or Power BI
- Sound understanding of basic project finance (e.g. ability to explain variance between budgeted and actual expenditure)
- Basic understanding of legal framework of humanitarian operations, as well as gender, protection, social or human vulnerability issues
- Excellent contextual analytical skills and ability to summarise complex information clearly and concisely for a variety of audiences
Communication; Collaboration and Teamwork; Judgement and Decision Making; National Society and Customer Relations; Creativity and Innovation; Building Trust; Accountability, Professionalism, Integrity
The Federation is an equal opportunity employer.
Fundraising and business development
- Take an active role in researching, analyzing and advising on potential new funding opportunities
- Undertake effective negotiation with National Societies, multilaterals, private sector organizations and other donors in order to secure pledges and grants
- Take the lead in coordination of specific funding proposals, including acting as close liaison with National Societies, ARO technical teams, Cluster and Country offices to ensure consistency of agreed approach and priorities as well as to ensure timely submission of good quality proposals to donors
- Provide focused support and analysis, especially in terms of financial and administrative requirements in the process of developing of funding proposals
- Review and ensure quality of concept notes, grant applications and funding proposals
- Follow up on donor/partners feedback on proposals/concept notes submitted and systematically share the information with the team as part of lesson learning
- Organize and facilitate partner conference calls and take an active role in preparation and delivery of partnership meetings
- Organize or support donor visits to the field if required
Partnership and Resource Development for Emergencies
- Lead and coordinate resource development for emergency appeals, including generating and sharing relevant information with which to communicate to key partners for IFRC Africa emergencies
- Coordinate with Communications team to ensure adequate marketing materials are produced
- Track and analyse emergency appeal coverage, lead and coordinate actions to be taken to increase coverage, and provide regular updates, analysis and recommendations to management
- In collaboration with the Disaster, Crisis, Preparedness Response and Recovery (DCPRR) department, input to revisions of emergency appeal procedures, explore new mechanisms and instruments for increasing emergency income
- If needed, provide emergency surge PRD capacity on the ground within Africa region including travelling to the affected country
- Gather income data relating to emergency appeals, analyse trends and variances in Africa region emergency appeals and the external humanitarian funding landscape
Planning and Budgeting for IFRC Africa Region Annual Operational Plans
- In close cooperation with Head of PRD, work with the various units, country offices and country cluster offices in the ARO, to develop the Africa region’s budgets and funding plans for both emergency appeals and long-term plans,
- Provide advice to all budget holders during the planning process on realistic funding plans, and support them in annual revisions
- Provide technical review of the funding plans to ensure that they tally with the operational plans and budgets
- Maintain an overview of the funding situation of all current annual plans and emergency appeals in Africa region, continuously identifying gaps in funding and funding priorities
- Establish and utilise tracking tools to monitor hard and soft pledges for all incoming funding
- Input to the global PRD planning process and donor engagement plans
Pledge and Grants Management
- Process all pledges properly and in a timely manner
- Ensure that relevant updates in the registration system are included, and that pledges reflecting agreed criteria are shared with donors and understood by relevant budget holders
- Ensure that budget holders and finance team are aware and receive information on grant agreements and donor requirements
- In close cooperation with budget holders ensure that renegotiation of pledge requirements and timeframe extensions take place on time
- Ensure timely follow up on pledge payment arrangements
- Ensure that all prospect funding and hard pledges are duly logged and registered in IFRC systems
- Ensure regular follow up between PRD, finance team and budget holders of pledge implementation rates and donor requirements to meet quality standards and conditions of specific grants
- Work with Communications teams to ensure donor visibility requirements are met
- Review and ensure quality and compliance of grant applications, funding proposals and reports
- Ensure consistency and compliance to grant management procedures in view of achieving quality reporting and accountability
- Undertake occasional monitoring visits to implementation areas of grants
National Society Fundraising Capacity Building
- Support the Domestic Fundraising Development delegate in the planning and implementation of a programme to build National Societies’ domestic resource mobilisation capacities
- Support the organisation of fundraising skillshares, webinars, and training sessions, facilitating training sessions in the post-holder’s areas of expertise
- Provide technical advice and guidance to National Societies on funding opportunities and proposal development
- Engage with Virtual Fundraising Hub initiatives including Peer Review, International Fundraising Skillshare, investment mechanisms and digital tools implementation
- Support the Head of PRD with the revision of the Federation-wide Resource Mobilisation Strategy
- University degree in relevant discipline (ex. g. International Relations, Marketing, Humanitarian Affairs, Business Administration, Economics, Finance).
- Masters’ degree in relevant discipline (ex. g. International Relations, Marketing, Humanitarian Affairs, Business Administration, Economics, Finance).
- Relevant professional training courses (Red Cross/Red Crescent related, humanitarian and development sector, management)
- At least 7 years working experience out if which 5 years relevant experience in managing relations with donors and partners.
- Experience in managing relations with donors and partners.
- Experience of developing winning funding proposals and grant applications.
- Experience of developing and implementing funding plans.
- Red Cross Red Crescent work experience
- Work experience with other international organizations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies.
- Knowledge of fundraising and marketing tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of EU and other key institutional donor requirements and ways of working.
- Excellent knowledge of Excel, development and interpretation of graphs and charts for analysis and monitoring.
- Knowledge of and skills in tracking open calls for proposals from key donor institutions.
- Track record in producing high quality work under short deadlines and ability to manage competing priorities under pressure.
- Ability to work in a multicultural, multilingual, multi-disciplinary environment
The Federation is an equal opportunity employer.