ILRI Consultancy-: EU-IFAD project on Building Livelihoods and Resilience to Climate Change in East Africa: AR4D for large-scale implementation of CSA
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a consultant to carry out a biophysical assessment using the Geofarmer and CSA Farm Calculator App, to monitor the uptake of biophysical component of CSA practices in the CSVs in Ethiopia.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR Research Centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and South East Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
Scope of Work-ILRI Consultancy
The consultant will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Familiarize with the CSA Monitoring framework and ICT-based data collection tool (Geofarmer and CSA Farm Calculator App) and provide feedback for tailoring the CSA Monitoring framework and ICT-based data collection tool developed by CCAFS Flagship Program on climate-smart technologies and practices to the Doyogena and Basona Worena CSVs context-specific conditions
- Identify the key CSA practices tested and promoted in the sites and update the glossary of CSA practices in both the Doyogena and Basona Worena CSVs, that will be fed into the Geofarmer and CSA Farm Calculator App
- Work closely with CCAFS, Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT and partners to identify farmers to be interviewed, including the sample size in in interventions and non-intervention (control) sites
- Work with the CCAFS fieldwork team to train enumerators and oversee biophysical data collection including quality control
- Undertake biophysical component data analysis, writing of scientific reports and manuscripts working closely with CCAFS and Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT.
Final Products-ILRI Consultancy
- Report of the biophysical data collection exercise and link to the server with data
- Report on adoption of tested and diverse biophysical CSA technologies in Doyogena and Basona Worena to be published as CCAFS working paper and data
- InfoNote based on the results of the analysis
- A manuscript on CSA adoption in Doyogena and Basona Worena CSVs.
Consultancy Fee: Lumpsum or by mutual agreement based on agreed milestones and deliverables
Post location: Consultant’s base in Ethiopia
Duration: 01 October 2020 to 31 March 2021 with a maximum 90 working days
Essential skills and qualifications-ILRI Consultancy
- Ph.D. in Soil Science, Agronomy or closely related field
- At least 2 years of post-doctoral experience
- Strong knowledge in climate change and fieldwork experience in Climate Smart Agriculture
- Knowledge of Ethiopian landscapes and farming systems
- Experience in data collection using ICT
- Knowledge of a suite of statistical packages and experience in data analysis of large data sets
- Background and training in soil science, agronomy, climate change and variability, with proven hands-on understanding of the agronomic data
- Good report writing and scientific writing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
How to apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 2 October 2020. The position title and reference number CCAFS /09/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer