RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. The organization provides research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients in more than 75 countries.
Power Africa East Africa Energy Program is a four-year project working to increase on-grid electricity access, accelerate private sector investment, and improve the enabling environment of the power sector in East Africa. RTI International leads implementation of this Power Africa coordinated program, a U.S. Government-led partnership, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
RTI International seeks to recruit a Capacity Building Coordinator, East Africa, to be based in Nairobi, Kenya under the Power Africa East Africa Energy Program.
The Capacity Building Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination, delivery and implementation of training as well as capacity‐building services to power entities, regulators, and governments in East Africa, to advance Power Africa East Africa Energy Program’s objectives. The individual will develop and implement capacity building plans and materials, deliver trainings and coordinate service provider tasks as required. The Capacity Building Coordinator will conduct needs assessments and develop tailor-made training programs relevant for various partners, in coordination with the Senior Organizational Development Specialist, technical and cross-cutting teams. In addition, the position supports the identification of training needs based on skills gap analysis, developing group and individual learning courses and managing the training budget. She/he will support the successful delivery of capacity-building and learning activities to be implemented by the program.
- Contribute to the identification of needs for capacity-building actions through skills gap analysis.
- Contribute to the design of the capacity-building strategy and coordinate experts working on strategic aspects of capacity building.
- Contribute to the design of tools and actions for various capacity building and training activities including supporting tenders for service providers, assessing bids and preparatory meetings with selected service providers.
- Delivery of capacity building activities including coordinating the organization and delivery of the capacity-building actions (e.g. organizing training for service providers, active participation in coordination meetings and steering groups in charge of the design and implementation of the capacity-building actions).
- Develop specialized materials and processes (areas/topics) as identified for partners capacity development, including training, mentoring and coaching of partners, peer learning and other methodologies.
- Coordinate service providers commissioned by the program to support design and delivery of capacity-building actions (experts, trainers, training institutions, etc.)
- Lead capacity building related monitoring, evaluation, learning and periodic reporting. This includes monitoring the program indicators (result indicators, output indicators at program level, performance review information, etc.)
- Coordinate with appropriate stakeholders in all aspects of activity planning, monitoring, and implementation.
- Contribute to the development of annual workplans, budgets, performance monitoring systems and tools, and program reports.
- Maintain a repository of key documents and records for reporting purposes in line with the program’s knowledge management approach.
- Assist in the design of calls for proposals and other related documents for the creation of networks.
- Any other duties that s/he may be assigned by project management from time to time.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Management or Education, Public Administration or a related field, preferably focused on learning solutions.
- Master’s degree with 5 years of experience or Bachelor’s degree with 8 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Direct work experience in developing countries as a senior expert in training and capacity building. Preference of energy sector working experience.
- Demonstrated ability to design capacity building strategies based on clear needs identification and understanding of the operating context, and experience of working with Governments institutions and donor community.
- Solid experience in organizing trainings, familiarity with a wide range of capacity building techniques including designing educational curriculum.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills, with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host country counterparts in both the public, private and local partners.
- Relevant experience implementing and managing training and technical assistance programs preferably in the energy sector.
- Ability to produce well written reports while meeting tight deadlines.
Ability to manage and monitor a budget.
Project management experience.
Fluency in English is required.
Skills and abilities
Ability to multi-task
Ability to work well with others
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
Ability to work independently
Attention to detail and accuracy
Physical and mental demands
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above. Examples include: remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time; operating a computer and other office machinery; thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving about inside and travel between offices; ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines, ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may require, ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.