International Potato Center Jobs seeks to recruits Gender Senior Scientist Nairobi Kenya
Gender Senior Scientist -International Potato Center Jobs
Full time | International Potato Center | Kenya
Global Recruited Staff (GRS)
Research and Development
Job Description-International Potato Center Jobs
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and innovative researcher on gender to enhance the impact of research and development programs on poverty, malnutrition and climate change. This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to the efforts of international agricultural research to support the transformation of the world’s agri-food systems into more inclusive, gender equitable, sustainable and profitable sectors.
The Gender Senior Scientist will lead gender integration in on-going research projects in sub-Saharan Africa for research programs involving root and tuber agri-food systems. CIP undertakes gender-responsive and gender transformative approaches to agricultural research and interventions on sweetpotato and potato such as breeding (producer/consumer preferences of various social groups), promoting nutrition-rich potato and sweetpotato to vulnerable social groups, and understanding equitable food systems including seed systems and post-harvest technologies.
The Gender Senior Scientist will lead an interdisciplinary team with the aim of integrating gender aspects in on-going research for development, with focus on breeding and seed systems and enhance impact at scale of interventions.
The position will offer career opportunities to work on strategic disciplinary social science according to her/his expertise (e.g. gender relations, agency, youth, masculinities) within the broader topics of climate change adaptation, nutrition and food security.
This role requires working closely with scientists across disciplines and countries where CIP global programs are present. The selected candidate will report to the leader of CIP’s Social and Nutritional Sciences Division and will be preferably based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Requirements-International Potato Center Jobs
What are we looking for?
- PhD in Social Sciences (e.g. anthropology, sociology, human studies, development studies, economics) with a focus on gender and agricultural development.
- A minimum of 8 years post-PhD experience in international development research including a strong academic publications record.
- In-depth knowledge and experiences in gender research drawing on critical social theory, political ecology, feminist economics or other relevant approaches to analyze social power relationships.
- High-level competency in inter-disciplinary and transdisciplinary approaches, in particular, working with breeders, agronomists and agricultural economists.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with researchers and partners from various backgrounds.
- Proven excellence in written and verbal English communication skills. Verbal communication skills in African languages are an asset.
Benefits-International Potato Center Jobs
What are we offering?
- Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.