Position Title : Project Officer
Duty Station : Dakar, Senegal
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 August 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is implementing a cross-regional programme across 10 countries in West Africa and North Africa. The programme is route-based and designed to support migrants along their routes and in their countries of origin. Its overall aim is to protect migrants from harm and to generate knowledge on migration along the Central Mediterranean Route.
The programme has four main outcomes:
1) Migrants and refugees in vulnerable situations at key points along the Central Mediterranean Route are better protected from harm (including protection support and information campaigns).
2) Increased access to solutions, including reintegration initiatives and strengthened protection systems, that meet migrants’ needs in origin and transit countries.
3) Key actors have greater understanding of who moves and where they move as well as migrant vulnerabilities and protection concerns along the journey, and use this information to make migrant journeys safer.
4) Programme contributes to the evidence base on migrant decision-making (regular and irregular) and the influence that interventions may have on this.
Outcome 4 is a high-quality, high impact research study on migration decision-making in the Gambia, Guinea and Senegal. In parallel with the ongoing research funded under the outcome, IOM is implementing a project targeting young entrepreneurs, who will be provided professional coaching and financial support to launch or expand their business. Additionally, IOM will leverage learnings produced under the outcome through the implementation of learning activities and products, such as community-facing interactive theatre, participative street art and locally produced manga animations.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Project Learning Manager, the successful candidate will support the planning and implementation of activities under the Department for International Development (DFID) funded “Safety, support and Solutions in the Central Mediterranean (SSS CMR)” programme and its fourth outcome in particular. S/he will work in close collaboration with the programme’s Regional Communications Officer and staff in IOM London as well as the country teams in The Gambia, Guinea and Senegal.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the development of communication protocols, reporting and information-sharing tools, in close coordination with programme management team and country offices, to support improved information sharing between all countries under the programme.
- Assist the Project Manager in facilitating and monitoring resource mobilization and project development activities by participating in proposal development and the production of reports and external material.
- Advise, and, upon request from the Project Manager, support IOM Country Offices’s (CO) on all aspects of implementation of main activities foreseen under Outcome 4.
- Participate in tracking, recording and monitoring the project’s progress.
- Identify opportunities for learning and propose possible programme adaptions to ensure continued fit for purpose and Value for Money.
- Support the development of Learning products as well as audio-visual content (data visualization, infographics, etc.) in coordination with the programme’s Communications Officer, Project Learning Manager and the research partner.
- Draft specific sections of donor and other reports.
- Make logistical and administrative arrangements for key learning events and internal coordination workshops throughout the project cycle.
- Make all arrangements for programme management team briefings.
- Assist in the organisation of external and internal evaluations and lessons learned workshops.
- Support the Project Manager in sharing information with IOM COs under the programme’s Fourth Outcome, as well as within the Organisation, by sending approved internal bulletins and drafting periodic operational emails.
- Prepare preliminary transversal analysis and draft specific sections of snap-shot documents as needed.
- Maintain a clear and precise filing system and compile background information on the status of implementation of all required logistics, meeting preparations, and reporting and administrative processes.
- Undertake site visits and duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution, or;
• Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven organisational skills and experience implementing project support tasks;
• Experience in data management, analysis and reporting in a humanitarian or development context;
• Experience working on knowledge management systems and M&E is desirable;
• Proven experience organizing high-profile meetings, research symposiums and other academic events is desirable;
• Experience working with youth and/or entrepreneurs is an advantage;
• Knowledge and understanding of the migration issues in the region is an advantage;
• Experience in West Africa, particularly in Senegal and The Gambia is an asset.
• Expert knowledge of MS office and advanced understanding of scientific method and research is an advantage;
• Knowledge of financial support services or financial inclusion instruments is desirable;
• Demonstrated high competency as a writer/editor in English (required) and French (highly desired);
• Strong analytical skills are desirable;
• Skills in data visualization a plus;
• Creativity is a key skill for this position.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 12 August 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 30.07.2020 to 12.08.2020