Jobs at United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)- Recruits Senior IT Assistant,Abuja Nigeria.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior IT Assistant – Jobs at United Nations High Commissioner
Job ID: 23166
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Salary Grade: G5
Hardship Level: C
Family Location Type: Family
Nature of the Position
The incumbent of the post will report directly to the Assistant ICT Officer in Abuja and will provide ICT infrastructure and user support to the UNHCRAbuja CO and other field offices and units as may be required.
The incumbent of the post will have a key role in ensuring these ICT solutions are well adopted and deployed to staff.S/he will be called upon to provide maintenance for VSAT ICT infrastructure in the offices – both directly as well as in coordination with the UNHCR
External ICT Service Providers, ensuring that it is kept in sound functional state and that any breakdowns are quickly resolved to minimize interruption to operations at the offices.Ideally the candidate:Should be able to properly plan and organize ones work, and effectively communicate with and assist users at all different levels within the workplace.Should coordinate effectively with external ICT Service Providers contracted by UNHCR to facilitate their remote interventions in the respective areas of responsibility.Should possess strong commitment to the search for technical solutions to facilitate the work of staff coupled with an analytical mind and good troubleshooting skills.
Should be self-driven and able to work long hours under pressure plus able to handle multiple concurrent demands.Should be willing to invest effort in keeping themselves abreast with the technological advances in the field of ICT in a quest to continually improve ICT usage in the office.Should have prior training on Microsoft Server Operating Systems, on Microsoft Office 365, One Drive for Business and Cisco networking technologies.
S/He will support the implementation and testing of UNHCR Business Continuity Plan at Sub Office Level, ensure staff compliance to ICT policies.Perform data backups and test them periodically.Administer and manage mobile telephone billing.Keep inventory of all UNHCR ICT assets.Support UNHCR voice and video conference systems, radio systems programming, perform new systems roll out and documentation.Additional Relevant Certificates Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE)Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
Organizational Context – Jobs at United Nations High Commissioner
- Technical guidance and instructions are received from the IT unit at HQ. As the post is of a technical nature indirect supervision is exercised by the Head of Office. The incumbent will also refer to technical manuals and policy papers.
- Regular contacts with staff in the office and in other offices within the country of assignment. Contacts also with the Regional IT Officer and with the Field Office Support Team in HQ on matters related to the LAN/E-mail system.
- Regular contacts with UNHCR’s implementing partners, including the government counterparts, to provide assistance on matters related to information technology
- The incumbent makes recommendations on software and hardware needs in the office. A breakdown of the IT system in the office will have a direct negative impact on the overall operation and may compromise the efficiency, security and safety of the operation as well as the staff.
- Assist the office in setting standards for applications that meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information Technology.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Printers, LAN points, Hubs, Patch pane, etc. to prevent faults occurring.
- Ensure that information problem recovery is done as quickly as possible by making regular system back-ups
- Assist with the installation of software packages, basic repair/maintenance of all computer hardware in the office and where required implementing partners.
- Train UNHCR staff on email operation system
- Add or remove users from the Network
- Maintain the inventory of IT equipment
- Perform other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Professional Experience – Jobs at United Nations High Commissioner
- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher with certificate / training in Information Technology.
- Technical knowledge of information technology
- Certificate in LAN operation.
- Communication skills.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies – Jobs at United Nations High Commissioner
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Technological Awareness
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Knowledge of local language is highly recommended.
Application Closing Date
11:59 pm 23rd November, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- A written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
- This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility:
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).