Mercy Corps Jobs-Mercy Corps is looking for Grants and Development Officer– Abuja, Nigeria
| Job Title: Grants and Development Office
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Mercy Corps Jobs-Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps Jobs-General Position Summary
Mercy Corps Jobs-Essential Job Responsibilities
Reporting & Grants Management
- Responsible for coordination, tracking and development of high volume of donor reports – ensuring they are of a high quality and submitted on schedule.
- Lead on the production of internal reports as needed, ensuring timely inputs from program, finance and operations teams, and ensure review and signoff processes are thorough and adhered to.
- Act as the primary focal point with the desk teams in Portland and Edinburgh in response to donor priorities and adhere to specific requirements and deadlines.
- Lead on capacity building on report writing and information management for staff.
- Provide draft answers upon request to donor questions and inquiries, while ensuring compliance with donor regulations.
- Liaise with sub-grant focal point to ensure reporting standards are upheld by partners.
Mercy Corps Jobs-Proposal Development
- As needed, support on the development of concept notes and funding proposals (including budgets), coordinating the process with all departments
- Support PaQ team to ensure proposals and concept notes are developed in a timely manner and with realistic deadlines, and that these are communicated and understood by focal points internal to the MC Nigeria team as well as the regional and HQ teams.
- Support to ensure proposals are developed in coordination and consultation with program technical managers, finance and operations teams (including logistics) and that necessary support is adequately budgeted.
Mercy Corps Jobs-Program Quality
- As needed, support the Program Quality and Development Director with compliance to PM@MC minimum standards for program management.
- Work closely with program teams primarily on program monitoring, progress and quality to support ongoing reporting, proposals and other operational management tools.
- Ensure that program documentation meets PM@MC standards and folders are populated and archived accordingly.
- Support coordination and document all Program Kick-off and Close-out meetings, track action points for follow-up and record/document all lessons learned.
- As a PaQ team member, support the CARM structure as needed for programs outside of NE portfolio.
- As needed, represent Mercy Corps at select external meetings around compliance, donor regulations, new opportunity discussions, etc.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: none
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- 2-3 years of experience related to humanitarian and/or developmental work
- Strong writing and analytical skills, and ability to edit with a critical eye to detail
- Ability to deliver to deadline under pressure
- Ability and willingness to learn and follow donor reporting and compliance requirements.
- Ability to coordinate funding proposals and progress reports from key institutional donors (USAID, DFID, ECHO, EC).
- Experience working in a multi-cultural setting
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly to diverse groups
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving
- Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
- Demonstrated ability to support in the development of proposals for new projects and programs from conception to submission.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex humanitarian and transitional contexts, specific contextual knowledge of Nigeria preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational and prioritization skills and the ability to multi-task and support and/or fill multiple positions at one time.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work both independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required.
Success Factors-Mercy Corps Jobs
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
The position will be based in Abuja, Nigeria and may require travel to other field locations as needed. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing in the field will be in hotels or guesthouses where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in the field is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
Given the nature of response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Mercy Corps Jobs-Ongoing Learning
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development