NGO in Tunisia is seeking for Gender Training Consultant -PROCUREMENT OF FREELANCE GENDER TRAINING CONSULTANT –
TERMS OF REFERENCE
- Service to be provided Provision of Gender Equality training for the El Kul production team.
- Contract Duration From: 1st September to: 11th September
- Number of days (including travel, preparation and reporting as necessary): 6-7 days
- Location Tunis, Tunisia
- Reports to Business Coordinator
- Organizational background
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We believe in the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
- We reach more than 200 million people a year, helping them make sense of events, engage in dialogue and take action to improve their lives. We support media and communication efforts that strengthen governance, improve people’s health, strengthen the resilience of vulnerable groups and help them survive, and recover from, natural disaster and other humanitarian emergencies.
- Our work in North Africa covers Algeria and Libya, with our office based in Tunisia. Current projects include capacity building of the Algerian media to create youth sensitive content and provision of content that improves Libyans’ access to information and encourage debate and participation in Libya’s transition through the El Kul Facebook page.
Training Background-NGO in Tunisia
BBC Media Action is committed to advancing women’s rights and gender equality. In line with our gender equality strategy and approach, our Tamkin wa Mussawat (Empowerment and Equality for Libyan Women) project aims to strengthen El Kul’s Facebook page coverage of issues of gender inequality in a creative, context-sensitive fashion.
Therefore, the El Kul journalists and representatives of specific Libyan CSOs require joint training that will contribute to building collaborations and networks for El Kul of gender experts and increasing El Kul’s capacity to produce gender sensitive content.
The training will also provide a safe space for El Kul journalists to reflect on their personal views and knowledge on women’s rights and gender equality issues. El Kul is a Libyan, youth-focused online media platform with over 900.000 followers on Facebook.
- Specification for services BBC Media Action requires 6-days of support between 1st September and 11th September in the areas set out in section 4 below.
- Key Tasks
• Review and feed into draft training modules already produced by the Senior Gender Advisor of BBC Media Action. Ensure Libyan and Arabic relevance.
• Run interactive training sessions with the El Kul Production team on the following topics:
o Gender – understand gender socialisation, gender serotyping and gender roles
o Personal journey of change – understand how change happens and potential impact of gender expectations or stereotyping
o Barriers and drives of change – understand what stops El Kul audiences from making a change around gender issues in Libya and how social media content can help shift gender expectations or stereotyping
o Making gender sensitive content – understand what makes media content gender sensitive and applying this approach to content.
• Provide feedback on El Kul story ideas around how content can better lead to gender transformation for audiences.
• Produce a short report reflecting on the training and participants ongoing needs.
- Special Conditions (if any)
• This training will have a mix of remote participants as well as Tunis based participants. Should COVID-19 make in-person training impossible, the training will move to be entirely remote.
- Expenses and fees Expenses: N/A Fees: 300USD/ gross day
- Accountability and reporting system
The contractor will report to the business coordinator Ghufran Ashor and the project manager, Intissar Klaa.
- Required qualifications and experience (for selection of Contractor)
The appointed contractor will have:
• Expertise in gender equality
• Expertise in designing and delivering Women’s Empowerment and Gender Equality Training of Trainers
• Experience of providing gender advisory support within the development sector, including media for development
• Knowledge of North Africa, ideally Libya.
• Fluent in Arabic, with working English
- Key contact at BBC Media Action
Ghufran Ashor email@example.com
How to apply
If you are interested in the position, please send a resume and cover letter outlining why you are qualified for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by EOD 17th August 2020.