NGO jobs Software Engineer-We are looking for a Software Engineer to contribute to the development of back-end and front-end technology for our globally shared technology, and to contribute to the implementation and operation of local services.
|Job Title: Software Engineer
Preference will be given to applicants from PAD program countries (Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia)
PAD (Precision Agriculture for Development) works with digital platforms which offer agronomic advice to smallholder farmers, mainly over SMS and IVR (interactive voice response). PAD runs its own SMS and IVR services (among others, a service with 450,000 users in Kenya and a service with 800,000 users in Odisha, India) and works with partner organisations which operate similar services.
PAD is a small, but fast-growing global non-profit that uses tech, data science and behavioral economics to provide targeted information to farmers in developing countries. Providing the right information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, increases incomes, protects the environment and improves well-being. We are evidence-based: we test our interventions with randomized control trials to prove our impact and cost effectiveness, to simultaneously learn from and improve our service, and also to demonstrate our value to funders and partners.
There are few programs in international development that are as demonstrably cost-effective as ours. We currently work in eight countries in Africa and Asia, and we are expanding as more governments and organizations look for innovative ways to use new technologies to get information to people across the developing world.
NGO jobs Software Engineer-Responsibilities
The Software Engineer will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Back-end and front-end development of telephony and chat technology (Erlang, Python)
- Implementation and maintenance of telephony and chat services
- Maintenance, development and automation of data flows and dashboards
- Implementation of innovations and experimental projects (e.g. smartphone apps)
NGO jobs Software Engineer-Qualifications
- Bachelors or higher in an analytical or technical field (e.g. computer science, engineering)
- Experience using a functional programming language (ideally Erlang; Haskell/Lisp/other is fine)
- Familiarity with Linux
- Can work independently and communicate effectively in a partly remote team
- Experience using Git, Docker, AWS
- Familiarity with Python/R (Shiny)/SQL
- Familiarity with web and/or smartphone app development
- Full-time; part-time negotiable
- Start date: ASAP
- Location: preferably at a PAD office, but remote between GMT and GMT+7 is negotiable
- Compensation: dependent on experience
- Preference will be given to applicants from PAD program countries (Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia)