Protection Assistant – Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in the world. The IRC assists provide rehabilitation and provide post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. Present in more than 40 countries, IRC’s mission is to help the people whose lives and livelihoods are affected by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and take charge of their future.
In the face of a growing humanitarian crisis, the IRC is running emergency programs in the Far North and South West regions of Cameroon. The planned programs include environmental health (EH), Protection and Rule of Law (PROL), Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) and the Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE).
IRC is recruiting three Protection Assistants who are members of the Protection Mobile Team, operating in the South West Region. The role of the Protection Assistant(s) will be to ensure the implementation of emergency protection prevention and response activities in order to facilitate access to services. The Protection Assistant will work under the supervision of a protection officer and collaborate closely with other IRC sectors such as health, ERD, WPE, WASH and education.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The protection assistant(s) is/are in charge of implementation of protection prevention and response activities.
The protection assistant(s) will strengthen the prevention scope of the programming through information dissemination activities on available services and main protection topics. He/She will also focus on conducting awareness raising sessions on legal procedures to obtain/recover civil documentation and on protection topics including humanitarian principles, protection and other instruments to community members affected in the areas of intervention.
The protection assistant(s) will also contribute to protection monitoring activities, referrals and protection case management activities.
The Protection assistant will respect the principle of confidentiality of the information received during the activities. He/She will work closely with the Protection Manager, Protection Officers, M& E Officer and other Mobile Team members to provide a protection response during deployment. The Protection Assistant will report to the Protection Officer.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR PROTECTION ASSISTANT
- the Protection Assistant conduct Rapid Protection Assessment(s) as appropriate
- Conduct protection risk analysis in deployment areas and in coordination with WPE teams, work with communities including CBOs to develop risk reduction mechanisms
- Conduct daily protection monitoring activities and report accordingly
- Report daily information on protection situation to the Protection Manager, Protection Officers and M&E Officer for integration in protection monitoring reports.
- Contribute to regular adjustment of tools, report any significant change in the protection situation
- The Protection Assistant conduct awareness-raising sessions on procedures to obtain / recover civil documentation
- Contribute to the development of information dissemination materials
- Organize Sensitization and Awareness sessions on protection issues (service available, access to rights, child protection, importance of civil documentation, etc);
Protection Case management & Referrals
- Work with WPE teams to facilitate internal and external referrals.
- Contribute to the update and development of a solid service mapping in the intervention area
- Maintain good relationships with service providers in the intervention area
- Refer persons at-risk to relevant / appropriate service providers, including health centers, community-based organizations, NGO programs or other care services in the intervention areas.
Reporting and Data management
- Ensure ethical and confidential data collection during monitoring and evaluation.
- Monitor the progress of the program and identify any delays that have been or may be expected
- Ensure that activities are fully documented, including regular and systematic collection of data required.
- Establish and implement a training evaluation system as pre-post tests to measure participants’ learning level.
- Produce / contribute to the writing of the reports required by IRC and the lessor (progress of activities, monitoring of indicators, etc.)
- Comply with the IRC security procedures and report the security information provided to him to ensure a safe and secure environment for the implementation of the program.
Coordination & Représentation
- Ensure coordination of programming with any other sectors or external stakeholders as per portfolio of projects
- Work closely and coordinate with the IRC Support Services to carry out program activities. This includes participation on need assessments, review programming and M&E meetings
- Any other task requested by his supervisor to allow the program to progress.
- Commit to IRC Way (or Code of Conduct / Mandatory Reporting Policies)
- Commit to ensuring the optimal implementation of these policies in its framework.
- Commit to comply with IRC’s Internal Regulations in Cameroon
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Social Science, Law, Public Health, Humanities or other related field, desirable.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- At least, one year of experience in counseling, social work or other related field;
- To be of Cameroonian nationality;
- Clear understanding of and interest in the protection field of expertise;
- Strong ability to maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, and work in a difficult environment;
- Fluency in English is required as well as fluency in local language of the intervention area;
- Clear understanding of human rights, and issues surrounding violence against civilians;
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to maintain confidentiality and respect for clients;
- Knowledge and experience with community outreach and mobilization;
- Positive and professional attitude, including ability to lead and work well in a team setting;
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
How To Apply
Applicants are requested to send their submissions to:
Applicants can deposit their application in a closed envelope at the IRC office in Buea Located at Campsic opposite DRC or Online
With the subject line: “Protection Assistants: Buea – Fako, or Kumba-Meme, or Ekondo Titi-Ndian” on or before July 27, 2020 at 5PM.
Requisition ID: req9686
Job Title: Protection Assistant:Buea – Fako,, Kumba – Meme, Ekondo Titi – Ndian.
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Buea, Cameroon
Applications must include: