August 2020 | South Sudan|Full time, 12 month contract
Reports to Country Director | Supervises Project Coordinators
*International and National candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be considered*
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
Last year, American Refugee Committee became Alight. We’re the same organization with the same people doing the same critical work – providing health care and clean water, shelter, protection, and economic opportunity to more than 3.5 million people in 17 countries each year. But in solidarity with the people we serve who are too often defined by a single dark moment in their lives, we’re dropping the label ‘refugee.’
Alight currently operates as American Refugee Committee (ARC) in South Sudan.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
What we do in South Sudan
The overall objective of the ARC South Sudan program is to assist the South Sudanese to respond and react to community needs. To achieve this objective, ARC implements a multi-sectoral program that includes Nutrition, WASH, Livelihoods and Protection in terms of GBV and Child Protection activities. ARCs GBV programming is expanding its outreach mechanisms and introducing innovative new initiatives. ARC has program activities in Central and Eastern Equatoria, Northern Bahr Gazal and Upper Nile.
About the Role
The Protection Specialist provides overall strategic direction for ARC’s protection program in South Sudan while supporting the strong integration of protection principles and approaches across ARC’s other sector programs, and maximizing the potential of ARC’s evidence generation and advocacy on protection trends in South Sudan.
The Protection Specialist will work closely with sector leads and the CD/Program Manager to develop a comprehensive integrated protection strategy (inclusive of Women’s Protection, GBV and Empowerment, Child Protection and Protection Programming), in line with the country program three – year Strategic Action Plan, that ensures ARC’s integrated protection programming is coherently delivering needs-based protection services to host communities, IDPs and other at-risk populations in South Sudan.
This position is based in Juba with frequent travel to project locations (Min. 50%) in order to ensure required managerial supervision, support and smooth implementation of ongoing project activities.
They will also lead in the development and implementation of a research agenda on protection issues in South Sudan, and work closely with senior management, regional and HQ counterparts, ARC media and advocacy departments, and others, to ensure ARC’s public positions are in line with trends and issues on the ground in South Sudan.
Lastly, the Protection Specialist will contribute to the development of a harmonized regional approach to protection monitoring, and enhanced sharing of protection tools and approaches across ARC’s programs. The Protection Specialist will be responsible for developing quality proposals and for the overall quality implementation of all aspects of an integrated response combining information sharing, access to rights and entitlements, protection monitoring, risk reduction, vulnerable case identification and referrals and specialized programming for women and children.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Program Management and Technical Quality
- Provide technical and management leadership to the ongoing Protection Programs funded by OFDA, UNICEF, as well as any upcoming protection project (s) in accordance with best practice and ARC and Donor’s policy.
- Leads, or contributes to, development of country sector strategic direction and plans, in consultation with the technical units regionally and at HQ.
- Provides technical guidance on confidential and safe data collection, case identification and referral mechanisms in line with internationally recognized best practices.
- Provide technical guidance on safe information sharing and maintenance of safe spaces in line with internationally recognized best practices.
- Provide technical guidance on protection mainstreaming and risk reduction in the transit sites, liaising directly with other ARC program units and external actors to ensure that sites uphold internationally recognized best practices such as SPHERE standards, Child Protection Minimum Standards and the IASC GBV guidelines.
- Provide technical support to ensure ARC’s Protection program in South Sudan continues to set standards for quality and innovation.
- Provide technical and management leadership to technical pieces of the Protection teams, including protection mainstreaming and holistic support for IDPs, host communities, and Legal services integrated with other sectors, to ensure ARC’s protection interventions in these areas are in line with best practice and responsive to needs.
- Provide cross border support to other Country Programs when needed.
Integrated Protection, Strategy and Innovation
- In collaboration with sector leads the and CD/Program Manager, develop a comprehensive integrated protection strategy for South Sudan that enhances our capacity to efficiently and coherently deliver needs-based protection services in line with the goals of the ARC 2018 – 2021 Strategic Action Plan.
- Lead a comprehensive assessment of opportunities for greater cross-sector integration within ARC’s program units, and develop a work-plan for reaching integration goals by the end of 2021; as required, support development of cross-sector SOPs, tools, training modules, etc.
- Working closely with the Protection Project Coordinators, ensure ARC’s ongoing protection program reflects ARC standards for quality and innovation.
- Lead development and management of Integrated Protection strategic projects and promote cross-departmental learning and collaboration.
Research, Learning and Analysis
- Lead protection assessments and research aimed at generating a strong evidence base for ARC protection programming, as well as informing ARC advocacy in South Sudan and globally.
- Work closely with ARC’s advocacy and media teams, and the Violence Prevention and Response Unit, for the launch and dissemination of research reports and findings including assessments when needed.
- In coordination with the Advocacy team, contribute to the advocacy efforts of ARC South Sudan through analysis of the policy environment and protection trends, staff briefings, and external representation in relevant discussions in South Sudan.
- Support the greater sharing and use of research and learning within ARC’s program sectors, including by contributing to program development and design, to ensure interventions are responsive to needs and informed by a sound understanding of the protection environment in South Sudan.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and annual performance reviews.
- Overall responsible for staff work plans, work and vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
- If/as required identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies.
- Coach, train, and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team and providing professional development guidance
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- Offer leadership support for successful adherence by staff to ARC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Work closely with the HR personnel in the recruitment and orientation of staff.
Grant Planning & Implementation
- Lead the overall implementation of the ARC’s Protection program and provide guidance to the emergency protection staff to ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, that the project is appropriately monitored and evaluated, and that project reports are written and submitted in a timely manner
- Prepare program work plans that meet the program objectives and prepare appropriate operational guidelines for project staff;
- Ensure that project activities are implemented within the assigned budget parameters, manage all financial aspects of the protection programs, approve relevant expenses and review expenditures, in consultation with the Finance Team;
- Analyze protection concerns in South Sudan, propose new areas of work to ARC, and participate/lead in proposal development;
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
- Development/ maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and reporting systems and processes.
- Ensure regular field monitoring and modifications as required.
- Ensure ARC and donor reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements are produced in quality.
Coordination & Representation
- Develops and maintains effective coordination and long-term relationships with external stakeholders, representing ARC positions, promoting long-term strategy and resolving problems/conflicts
- Work closely and coordinates with ARC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
- Effectively represents ARC at Protection coordination forums, like the Protection Working Group/Protection Cluster
- Negotiate and maintain appropriate information sharing protocols within ARC programs and with external actors.
- Maintain effective and safe referral pathways for protection concerns and other vulnerable cases. Spearhead development and maintenance of SOPs for referrals.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to ARC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for ARC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
These are “must-haves” when you join Alight – Unleash abundance:
Open heart and open mind. You start by listening. You believe another person’s truth and it changes you. It unlocks your way of thinking in that moment, it opens your world.
Curiosity. You are always learning. You ask why and why again. You know that change (big and small) is constant, which means your curiosity to learn is matched with adaptability to evolve.
Trust. You believe that people do their best, are disciplined, and care about this as much as you do. You take responsibility for your part and know how to step back and give others the space to shine.
We’re also looking for the following technical competencies:
- MA/MSc equivalent in health (MPH), MSW Social Work, social science, law, humanities or other related degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in managing protection, GBV andChild Protection projects in complex environments. Preference given to candidates with experience in more than one area.
- Prior experience working in emergency settings or insecure environments.
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- INGO experience required
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentoring of national and international staff
- Fluency in English required
Key Behaviors & Abilities:
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Must be capable of applying their skills and knowledge in a range of capacities, including direct implementation, advisory functions, training and the transfer of technical knowledge and management skills to others.
These are the things we’re aiming to find. However, we’re open to being surprised. If you embody the spirt of Alight, care deeply about the cause, and if you bring something else that’s special, then please reach out
Working Environment: The position will be based in Juba and cover needs in South Sudan. This position will require frequent travel in South Sudan to cover the needs of 7 sites.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
Generous Leave Time – Between vacation days, personal leave days, and holidays, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
Additional benefits will be shared during the interview process.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org