EnCompass LLC is seeking a Research Specialist who will provide support to an evaluation of the justice and accountability (J&A) portfolio a
administered by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor (DRL) Office of Global Programs (GP). The Qualitative Research Specialist will participate in data collection in Central African Republic (CAR), manage field logistics for data collection, support the development of data collection instruments, and participate in data analysis and interpretation as required. This is an 8-month consultancy position with an approximate commitment of 43.5 days.
EnCompass LLC is collaborating with The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor (DRL) on an evaluation of justice and accountability (J&A) projects administered by the Bureau’s Office of Global Programs (DRL/GP). The DRL/GP supports projects that focus on transitional justice and atrocity prevention in conflict and post-conflict environments as part of its J&A portfolio.
The overarching goal of the J&A portfolio within DRL/GP is to contribute to a range of outcomes that include acknowledgement and revelation of human rights violations, combatting impunity for human rights violations, improved access to justice, advancement in victims’ rights to reparations, and support to activities aimed at averting violence and breaking cycles of conflict. The evaluation focuses on a sample of projects from the J&A portfolio, including project(s) implemented in CAR. This position involves work in CAR.
Position Duties and Responsibilities of Qualitative Research Specialist
Essential functions of
- The Qualitative Research Specialist Coordinate and prepare for qualitative data collection under the guidance of Team Lead and Evaluation Specialist
- Arrange all logistics for data collection in assigned areas
- Contribute to the development of data collection instruments, field guide and other data collection related materials
- Conduct qualitative data collection that may include interviews, focus group discussions, transect walks and other methods
- The Qualitative Research Specialist Collect and manage data files according to EnCompass policy
- Participate in the analysis and interpretation of qualitative data as needed
- The Qualitative Research Specialist Participate in all EnCompass trainings related to data collection and follow all EnCompass policies and approaches to evaluation
- Bachelor’s degree or higher relevant to law, public policy, international development, social science, or another related field
Experience and Skills
- At least five years of experience and demonstrated expertise in the areas of justice and accountability in relevant country/region, including strong familiarity with CAR legal framework, human rights, socio-political issues, and government processes/mechanisms related to transitional justice and accountability
- Demonstrated experience in conducting field research including conducting interviews and applying other qualitative data collection methods
- 5+ years of international development experience, ideally a majority in transitional justice and/or democracy, human rights, and governance projects
- Highest ethical standards conducting evaluations involving vulnerable populations
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite programs
- Current residency AND ability and willingness to travel around CAR
- Fluency in English and Sango strongly desired