*Preferred position location: South Africa. Other location to be determined by home country of successful candidate within the Southern Africa Region.
*Please submit your CV in English.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The position of Regional Disaster Management Coordinator will provide support to National Offices (NOs) to assist, in emergency preparedness planning, response management, humanitarian preparedness and response capacity assessments. This position will ensure compliance to both internal and international standards, facilitate humanitarian learning across the region, and coordinate the region’s humanitarian knowledge management.
Early Warning and Preparedness:
- Ensure timely information, early warning data is gathered from various sources, analyzed and reported by NOs on a monthly basis at a minimum.
- Lead engagement with the Strategy, Evaluation and Learning team to ensure that strategies and technical programmes respond to the common hazards within the framework of Community Based Disaster Risk Management (CBDRM/GERANDO).
- Manage the proper functional capacity of National Disaster Management Teams (identification, reporting, training, growth) and coordinate the deployment, training and growth of the SAR regional disaster management team.
- All NOs supported in capacity assessment and performance reviews to complete annual disaster management scorecard, organizational capability reviews and child wellbeing reports.
- Coordination with the GC Disaster Management Team on the convening of Regional Disaster Management Team virtual training, simulation events, and catch up calls.
Response Management and Learning:
- Deploy as necessary to national, regional and global responses.
- Facilitate the evaluation and/or documentation of best practices and approaches of HEA programming in all Cat III responses for external consumption.
- Actively contribute to program development in high risk/relatively lower capacity NOs.
Information Management and thought Leadership:
- Collaborate with the Advocacy and Justice for Children to prepare position papers on key Disaster Management topics in the region.
- Analyse data, package and communicate for influence.
Any other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in international development or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years coordination experience in emergency response programming or livelihoods/food security/DME/Resource acquisition.
- Significant knowledge of geopolitics and conflict issues, especially as it relates to humanitarian action.
- Strong experience in project design and proposal writing (at least three years of experience).
- Proven ability to produce high-quality and compelling written materials for policy and public audiences.
- Extensive knowledge of the humanitarian sector including humanitarian charters, laws, standards principals, and ability to mainstream leading cross-cutting themes.
- Wide experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian programmes.
- Proven track record for multi-sector program design and implementation.
- Requires cross-cultural experience, understanding and sensitivity.
- Ability to facilitate appropriate information flow and coordination amongst a complex range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Must have a clear understanding of major donors’ perspectives, requirements and standards.
- Ability to represent WV to major donors and other external stakeholders in a highly professional m manner.
- Strong commitment to WV’s vision, mission and core values.
- Strong Self-awareness.
- Quick and agile learner.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.