This role is open to Rwandan nationals only.
Laterite is looking for an experienced professional to lead research teams,
strategy, and operations in our office in Kigali, Rwanda.
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients
understand and analyze complex development challenges. We provide three
types of services:
• Data: comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions
• Research: from the design of large-scale research projects through to
• Advisory: strategic and technical research advice
Laterite works with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral
donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies.
Our core activity sectors are: public health, agriculture, urbanization & migration,
education, and youth & labor. We are also involved in projects with a focus on
We believe that impact is a long-term endeavor that requires being embedded in
the local context. Delivering high-quality research requires building local teams
and data collection systems, understanding the context, establishing close
working relationships with key players, and understanding their constraints and
Must-have: Post-graduate degree in Economics, Econometrics, Development
Research, or in one of Laterite’s core sectors
Demonstrated experience leading and mentoring research teams
Demonstrated experience managing complex research projects
Demonstrated experience growing research or business pipelines
Laterite’s growing network of offices currently includes Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya,
Uganda and the Netherlands. Our teams bring together more than 60 full time
local and international staff in a dynamic and nurturing work environment. We are
proud to be a culturally diverse organization. Learn more: www.laterite.com
Job description & key responsibilities
As a Research Manager based in Rwanda you will:
• The Research Manager Oversee the technical delivery and operations of a portfolio of research
projects, from design to data collection, analysis and follow-through.
• The Research Manager Provide technical advice, coaching and steering for research design, project
management, analysis, and reporting to ensure we deliver value for our
clients and use rigorous and innovative research methods.
•The Research Manager Manage the country office, including structuring Laterite’s research agenda,
contributing to corporate strategy, overseeing process improvements, and
financial and personnel management.
• the Research Manager Design and lead training and professional development activities for the
research team and the wider Laterite team.
• Build and manage the pipeline of research projects, turning internal
research ideas into externally funded projects and designing evaluations for
As a member of Laterite’s senior management team, you will consult on corporate
strategy, business operations, and opportunities for growth. You will serve as role
model for the team, actively promoting our corporate culture, mentoring
colleagues, and helping us to achieve our mission as an organization.
Laterite is expanding rapidly, and we are open to the possibility of hiring
exceptional candidates at a higher grade.
We are looking for an accomplished researcher who combines excellent technical
skills with management experience.
Our future colleague has:
• Demonstrated experience leading an organization, department, or
program, including financial and operational management.
• Direct supervisory experience and demonstrated experience training and
• Demonstrated experience designing and overseeing complex research
• Demonstrated experience building business pipelines and nurturing
relationships with clients and stakeholders from the public and private
• Motivation to work in social and economic research in Sub-Saharan Africa
• 5+ years of research or project management experience and at least 2 years
in a management role in education, youth, public health, agriculture and/or
• A postgraduate degree (Masters or above) in Economics, Econometrics,
Development Research, or in one of Laterite’s core sectors
Additionally, we are looking for:
• A self-motivated team leader with excellent interpersonal skills who thrives
in a fast-paced environment where timelines can be unpredictable
• Technical expertise in quantitative or qualitative research methods.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills (in English)
• Proficiency in STATA, R, or Python.
We invite you to complete our application form and submit your CV and a cover
letter (maximum two pages) describing your experience in leading teams of
researchers in development research projects, as well as your experience in
leading an organization, department, or program, including financial and
We will contact successful applicants to discuss next steps. Applications are
reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply ASAP.