The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Laboratory)
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Duties of the Research Supervisor Laboratory
- Conduct regular DNA and RNA extraction for diversity studies, variety identification and gene expression analysis.
- The Research Supervisor Laboratory Implement Marker-Assisted Selection activities in the lab for the Cassava Breeding Program.
- Carry out routine data analysis and report writing.
- Establish field and screen-house experiments related to gene discovery.
- The Research Supervisor Laboratory Actively participate in field sample collections, while taking utmost care in tracking and maintaining sample records from the field to the lab.
- Keep an up to date record of laboratory supplies and participate in procurement processing.
- Prepare and maintain centralized stock of DNA and RNA extraction reagents for routine laboratory use.
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations of the Biotechnology Laboratory.
- Provide day-to-day supervision to junior staff (NYSC, IT).
- The Research Supervisor Laboratory Perform all job-related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
- BSc / HND in Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or related fields with two (2) years’ experience in a laboratory environment.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have good laboratory skills, excellent record keeping, experience in high through-put sample processing (DNA extraction, and genotyping), Genetic analysis
- Be organized, strong attention to detail and excellent time management skills
- Consistently follow protocols and other directions and rarely make errors
- Be dependable, takes initiative and responsibility for own actions
- Be flexible, adaptable, able to respond to changes in routine
- Be strong listening, verbal, and documentation skills.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
10th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- Job City Ibadan, Oyo