The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor (Post-Harvest)
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
- The Research Supervisor Post-Harvest Receive, sort, and record samples received from on-station and off-station field trials.
- The Research Supervisor Post-Harvest Manage pre-processing of roots samples (cleaning, peeling, and weighing).
- Process roots samples to determine dry matter and starch content.
- The Research Supervisor Post-Harvest Convert fresh cassava roots into processed products (mainly gari and odorless fufu).
- Determine product yield per standardized unit of fresh roots.
- Liaise with Food Science lab to evaluate quality traits on processed products and fresh roots.
- Ensure all data are digitally recorded using PhenoApps
- Responsible in collating, curating, and uploading all post-harvest phenotyping data to cloud storage (cassavabase).
- Liaise with supervisors to plan and ensure procurement of supplies for laboratory analysis
- Assist in training of collaborators, students, trainees/interns and NYSC members
- Supervise junior staff and daily rated staff.
- Perform all job-related duties as may be assigned by supervisor
- BSc/HND in Agriculture, Biology, Food Science, or related fields with two (2) years’ experience in a field-based phenotyping environment for clonal crops.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have good field data collection skills, excellent record keeping, experience in high through-put phenotyping, Trial data analysis skills
- Be organized, strong attention to detail and excellent time management skills
- Consistently follow field and lab protocols and other directions and with minimal errors
- Be dependable, takes initiative and responsibility for own actions
- Be flexible, adaptable, able to respond to changes in routine
- Have strong listening, verbal, and documentation skills
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
- Job City Ibadan, Oyo