The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We seeks suitable applicants for the position below at the Institute’s field location in Ubiaja, Ikenne & Mokwa:
Job Title: Research Technician II (Breeding)
Location: Ubiaja-Edo, Ikenne-Ogun & Mokwa-Niger
Contract: 2-year renewable contract
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Duties of the Research Technician II Breeding
- The Research Technician II Breeding Assist in designing and establishing field trials under supervision of breeder
- Implement day-to-day operations of on-station, off-station, and on-farm cassava breeding field trials.
- Prepare plot barcodes and electronic resources for data capture including hardware and software
- Collect pre-harvest data, including early plant vigor, pest and disease resistance and morphological characterization.
- The Research Technician II Breeding Conduct harvesting of field trials and capture yield and yield-related traits data
- Ensure field trials are always well maintained
- The Research Technician II Breeding Assist in updating and maintaining trials and pedigree records
- The Research Technician II Breeding Assist to oversee hiring and supervision of daily-hired staff for planting, weeding and harvesting operations while maintaining strict control of budget expenditures
- Assist in coordinating crossing activities for all locations
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Supervisor
- National Diploma in Agriculture, Agronomy, Biology, or related field with three (3) years’ experience performing similar role in a laboratory environment.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have good field data collection skills, excellent record keeping, experience in high through-put phenotyping, trial design and data analysis skills
- Be organized, strong attention to detail and excellent time management skills
- Consistently follow field and lab protocols and other directions and with minimal errors
- Be dependable, takes initiative and responsibility for own actions
- Be flexible, adaptable, able to respond to changes in routine
- Be strong listening, verbal, and documentation skills.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
10th August, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested applicant should forward their Applications include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
- Job City Niger