The Security Focal Point is responsible for:
▪ Implementing and maintaining the operational GIZ Risk Management Policies and Processes.
▪ S/he is working for different GIZ projects and is reporting to the GIZ Risk Management Office (RMO) in Abuja. S/he is expected to support project implementation under the GIZ security framework.
▪ Maintaining a functional information network: liaise with relevant national and international development organizations and security stake holders.
▪ Reporting and documentation: situation reports, HRE Plan (Hibernation, Relocation and Evacuation), incident reporting, site assessments, etc.
▪ Travel Management and clearance
▪ Providing crisis management support to the Risk Management Office (RMO), the field representatives, the heads of programmes and the country director.
▪ Provide general administrative support to the field coordination office admin assistant in his/her day to day activities and standing for him/her in his/her absence.
▪ The Security Focal Point will report to and work under the administrative supervision of the Risk Management Office (RMO) and the Heads of Programmes.
▪ At the field offices, the Security Focal Point will report to and coordinate with the project team.
The position holder is expected to perform the following tasks:
▪ Acts as a liaison and focal point for Edo State and the GIZ activities in Edo State between the Risk Management Office (RMO), the Field representatives, the Heads of Programmes and the Country Director and the international and national staff present at the duty station.
▪ Updates the HRE (hibernation, relocation and evacuation) plan at the given location on a quarterly basis.
▪ Maintains contact details of local police and medical facilities.
▪ Provides information on overland movements and is always updated about the movement / transportation of team members and visitors.
▪ Clearly communicates absences to the team and always nominates an acting deputy, also towards the RMO (“in my absence from … to …, I will be deputized by …”).
▪ Provides information and (if possible) training on alternative communication devices such as radio/satphone and ensures the equipment is operational.
▪ In close coordination with the AV/RMO initiates incident/emergency responses, if required.
▪ Is reachable via phone or other means of communication media.
▪ Conducts and reports security related training needs of staff, guards etc.
▪ Instructs, if necessary, guards on improved site security.
Stand for the admin assistant in his/her absence in the following activities:
o Using electronic WINPACCS cash book recording and processing of invoices, receipts.
o Administer the petty cash system and ensure appropriate record keeping.
o Administer the bank account of the field office and prepare monthly reconciliation.
o Verify on regular basis vehicle and generator log books.
o Coordinate equipment/materials required for meeting/workshop.
o Payment of office running costs (light, water, etc.)
o Making hotel reservations for staff/consultants.
o Completing and sending of overland Travel Movement Request (OTMR) to RMO for security clearance.
o To sign release for payment on validation stamp for vouchers
o Partake in bid opening ceremony on procurement of good and services.
o General coordination of the administrative function.
Professional advisory services
▪ Monitors and analyses the security situation and prepares weekly situation / incidents reports and shares it with AV/RMO.
▪ Informs the dispatcher in Abuja on all planned overland travel movement.
▪ Implementation and maintaining of a GIZ in-country travel management system (Overland Travel Requests, Tracking of vehicles etc.).
▪ Travel clearance and approval
▪ Conducts security incident mapping and reporting.
▪ In coordination with the RMO issues security alerts. Prepares and conducts head counts, if instructed by the RMO, or the project management.
▪ Conducts and implements site assessments with support of RMO Abuja.
▪ Prepares and implements security risk assessments and risk mitigation measures in conjunction with the RMO.
▪ Advises and communicates on technical protection measures (site protection).
▪ Briefs incoming staff/consultants on security measures (e.g. attending security briefings, curfew time etc.).
▪ Ensures that adequate means of communication are in place, equipment is maintained and personnel trained.
▪ Ensures together with the project leaders that project vehicles are maintained.
▪ Maintains and updates the contact list / absence list of all staff.
▪ Attends the regular SFP and RMO meetings.
Networking and cooperation
▪ Collects information on the security situation in the project area and establishes an informal network with other international organizations, (I)NGOs, partner organizations, etc.
▪ Liaises and collaborates with different official and informal national authorities as well as national and international risk management entities.
▪ Liaison and networking with other humanitarian/development governmental, and security actors.
▪ Maintains, and expands a security-relevant network to provide comprehensive information on the security situation.
Other duties/additional tasks
▪ Carries out any other assignment as determined by the Risk Management Office (RMO), the Field representatives and or the Head of Programme.
▪ In case of emergency/ crisis, the position holder is expected to operate outside normal working hours.
▪ Frequent travels to all project areas is expected.
Required qualifications, competences and experience:
▪ University Degree in areas such as Political or Social Sciences, Conflict or crisis analysis or other relevant field.
▪ At least 3 years professional working experience in a comparable position in an international Non-Governmental Organisation, (I)NGO, multinational or national organisation.
▪ Experience in any of the armed services or paramilitary organisation is an asset, not a prerequisite.
▪ Experience of collecting data
▪ Report writing and analysis skills
▪ Be able to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities;
▪ Analytical skills
▪ Logistics and/or military background are an asset
▪ Excellent command of oral and written English
▪ Excellent communication skills
▪ Good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Excel)
▪ Good working knowledge of modern and alternative communication systems (telephone, e-mail, internet, Iridium-Sat phones, VHF-Radio, Skype)
Other knowledge, additional competences:
▪ Technical competence using GPS devices
▪ Good Knowledge of Edo State
▪ Customer minded, cooperative and understanding for the requirements of project implementation