- Job Locations NG-Abuja
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 15 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
This position is for an upcoming education project in Nigeria, which seeks to improve student access to school and literacy outcomes in a language they use and understand in Grades 1-3 in select areas of Nigeria, equitably and sustainably.
The Senior Finance Director will be based in Abuja, Nigeria. S/he will provide overall financial management and oversight for the project and will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP). This position will also be a liaison with the Home Office to ensure full compliance with regulations and policies with regard to implementation of effective internal controls.
Reporting and Supervision:
The Senior Finance Director will report to the COP.
- Establish and maintain financial management and accounting control systems for program expenditures;
- Ensure that the project meets all donor contractual requirements and complies with donor policies and regulations;
- Receive and account for all funds for the project (performing weekly and monthly cash checks).
- Liaise between Creative Associates’ field and headquarters offices;
- Participate in ongoing analysis, forecasting and review of project expenses;
- Participate in budget planning and realignments as required;
- Track the transfer of funds between headquarters and the field office, and manage accounting and finance records of in-country expenses, including developing spreadsheet programs for tracking and monitoring all financial project activities, and maintaining spreadsheets with current project expense data;
- Provide Project Director/HQ updates on the status of fund requests and work with Finance and Contracts (F&C) in Washington, DC to ensure the timely transfer of funds;
- Submit wire transfer requests for field offices to F&C for processing;
- Process check requests and wire transfer requests for payments to vendors in compliance with contract requirements;
- Review and process invoices and in-field fee payments in accordance with Creative accounting procedures and contract policies;
- Work closely with field-based subcontractors to ensure budgets, projections, and invoices are completed according to Creative/USAID policies and procedures;
- Manage personnel and payroll office staff and procedures;
- Maintain project financial and contractual files;
- Develop financial procedures manual;
- Provide financial management and systems training for project staff;
- Maintain a database of accounting documents, in both electronic and hard copy;
- Consolidate accounting data into a monthly return to be forwarded to Headquarters in paper and electronic copies;
- Prepare the requisite financial documents and vouchers;
- Draft quarterly and annual financial reports on financial status of project expenses and budget information and forward to F&C for review and approval by the Controller;
- Coordinate with USAID regarding the management of U.S. dollars and local currencies;
- Ensure monthly field expense reports;
- Travel to field offices when necessary; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- M.S. degree in accounting or financial management desired;
- At least eight (8) years of experience in financial management of development activities with increasing levels of responsibility;
- Experience in financial management on USAID-funded projects is required;
- Public or private sector management, financial analysis, cost accounting and relevant experience preferably in developing countries;
- Membership in a professional body such as those for Certified Public Accountants preferred;
- Experience working in Africa preferred; and
- The candidate must be professionally.
Application closing date not specified
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.