Technical assistance – The economy is dominated by the mining sector, especially by diamonds, which account for about 16% of GDP (Statistics Botswana 2018 GDP Report), represent over 80% of exports and about 30% of government revenues. While not significant in terms of GDP (2% at current prices in 2018), agriculture is the main source of livelihood for over 80% of the total population livestock farming is particularly important, with a cattle population estimated at 2.55 million heads.
The overall objective of the programme of which this contract will be a part is to promote export-led economic diversification and growth in Botswana with improved employment in targeted value chains (beef & leather).
The purpose of this contract is to establish a Technical Assistance Team (TAT), which will be composed of a core team of 3 key experts who will contribute to:
- Increasing and diversifying non-mining exports of Botswana to the EU and the region by inter alia drawing on the opportunities offered by the SADC-EPA;
- The Technical assistance Enhances enterprise and product competitiveness in selected value chains with the potential to strengthen women’s economic empowerment;
- IThe Technical assistance increases FDI in support of the export effort
Qualifications of Technical assistance
- A [post-graduate] degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Marketing, Economics, Engineering or any other related field, or equivalent of 2 years of general professional experience in addition to the minimum requirement
General Professional Experience
- At least 10 years of practical experience in export development and investment promotion working with the private sector and Government Agencies
Specific Professional Experience and other Skills
- Five (05) years of professional experience in export market and sector profiling, product development and diversification;
- Experience in innovative approaches to investment promotion, including branding at national level;
- Proven experience as trainer or facilitator in the field of expertise;
- Familiarity with EU import/export processes;
- Experience on EPAs will be an added advantage;
- English proficiency at C2 level.
The intended start date is July 2020 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 42 months from this date.