USDA Job-Capacity Building Specialist to support a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food for Progress (FFPr) project in West Africa region (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Nigeria)
Location CI (Primary)
Category International Job Type
Full-time Career Level Manager
Education Master’s Degree
Travel Up to 25%
CNFA is currently seeking applications from qualified candidates for a USDA Job-Capacity Building Specialist to support a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food for Progress (FFPr) project in West Africa region (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Ghana) called USDA West Africa PRO-Cashew project. The project aims to improve agricultural production and expand trade of agricultural products.
About the Project
PRO-Cashew will work to boost the competitiveness of West African producers by improving efficiency and quality in production and trade, and by working to develop more coherent regional trade and investment policies. In doing so, the project will strengthen producer capacities as well as develop incentives to renovate and rehabilitate cashew farms, improve production and quality, and create a more competitive West African raw cashew nut for the international market.
PRO-Cashew will undertake a series of activities to achieve the ambitious targets captured in the Performance Management Plan. As a result of these activities, PRO-Cashew expects the following high-level outcomes results by the end of the program:
- 10% average increase in agricultural commodities among program participants.
- $103,700,000 value of sales of farms and firms receiving USDA assistance.
- 27,490 MT volume of commodities sold by farms and firms receiving USDA assistance.
- 73,383 number of individuals participating in USDA food security programs.
Position Summary of USDA Job-Capacity Building Specialist
The capacity building specialist will primarily be responsible for delivering the capacity building results of this project. S/he will conduct organizational assessments, design improvement strategies, construct summary reports, and develop and deliver training to build the capacity of cashew farmers and its implementing partners. This position is based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire and will require travel in Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana and Nigeria.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Capacity Building Specialist will highly contribute to the overall implementation for PRO-Cashew project. He will provide his capacity building expertise in the design, development, and implementation of training, in addition to conduct SMEs and cooperatives organizational assessments and implement action plans, for three programmatic components:
1- Capacity Building: Farmer Organizations and Agro-Food Companies
2- In-Kind Grants: Inputs, Equipment, and Technical Assistance
3- Inputs: Develop Agro-dealers and/or Other Input Suppliers
PRO-Cashew requires frequent coordination with USDA, farmers, cooperatives, cashew associations, traders and exporters, agro-food companies, and government and government agencies organizations to fulfill host country compliance requirements. The Capacity Building Specialist is expected to work with the Program Director and the Cashew Expert in guiding PRO-Cashew capacity building activities.
Specific Position Responsibilities
- The USDA Job-Capacity Building Specialist Supervise all capacity building and training conducted under the contract
- Select and implement an appropriate and effective organizational assessment protocol with input from cashew stakeholders and USDA
- The USDA Job-Capacity Building Specialist Conduct organizational assessments of targeted organizations
- The USDA Job-Capacity Building Specialist Develop a customized capacity-building strategy for each organization that has been assessed, including milestones for assessing progress
- Develop new curriculum or adapt existing resources into learning modules drawing on adult learning methodologies
- Coordinate and deliver training; oversee the delivery of training by other experts, as needed
- Follow up with supported organizations and determine additional needs in an ongoing process of learning and adapting the capacity building approach
- Develop deliverables to capture capacity building activities
- Master’s degree in social science, development studies, or related field
- Ten (10) years of direct and progressive experience in organizational capacity building, organizational development, and training, with a preference with the associations and cooperatives in Cote d’Ivoire
- Five (5) years of experience designing and delivering training for adult audiences in a variety of settings
- Demonstrated skills and experience in organizational assessment and strategic plans
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country government personnel, USDA, USAID, stakeholders, and local partners
- French fluency and English intermediate level
- High-quality past performance references
- Experience in the cashew sector is beneficial
- Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders, such as the private sector, local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, and local and international staff
This position will require countrywide frequent travel, and regional travel, mostly in Benin and Burkina Faso. Some travel in Ghana and Nigeria will also be required.