WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION Jobs Abuja, Nigeria is recruiting Coordinator Strategic Health Policy and Planning
Skill Required: Finance and Accounts, Project/ Programme Management
Preferred Experience: 7 to 10 Year
Closing Date for Applications: 29th August 2020
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To support the country to have an updated and comprehensive national health policy, national health strategy and plan (NHPSP) that are costed, financed, implemented and monitored. Facilitate government stewardship and governance capacity to lead health development and manage partnerships with sound monitoring, evaluation and mutual accountability for results that promote good health at all key stages of life, taking into account and addressing health equity, social determinants of health and human rights, with a focus on preventing priority morbidity, mortality and disability.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
To provide leadership and coordination of country’s work on building national capacity and standards for Health Policies, Strategies and Plans (NHPSPs) including guidance towards attaining the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) and Universal Health Coverage (UHC) targets with effective country governance and leadership of the health agenda.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES-WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION Jobs Abuja
The incumbent is assigned all or part of the following responsibilities which are performed according to the needs and agenda:
- To lead the elaboration of strategies and policies by proactively contributing to state-of-the-art health policies, strategies, plans and governance activities, promoting and facilitating their implementation at country level to improve national health policies, strategies and governance approaches, including but not limited to monitoring and analyzing trends, promoting cross-cutting activities, set and review norms and standards, as well as guidelines for health policies, strategies and governance.
- To elaborate and/or oversee the elaboration of a series of policies and strategies toward the implementation of best practices in governance at the national and sub-national levels through facilitating and encouraging a culture of information-sharing of lessons learnt related to health planning, capacity building and monitoring taking into consideration criteria such as health financing, social protection, services standards and quality and the analysis and evaluation of health sectors.
- To fully participate in the elaboration and implementation of resource mobilization and advocacy strategies, in close collaboration with team members, including but not limited to providing advice and guidance to national partners on advocacy strategies, work plans, and their implementation.
- To guide, coach, motivate and manage health systems staff, including resolving problems while promoting effective team work and results, within the framework of WHO Staff Rules and Regulations, and AFRO accepted procedures; managing the budget within the framework of WHO Staff Rules and Regulations, financial rules and AFRO accepted procedures.
- To perform other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping for others as required.
- Essential: An advanced university degree (Master’s level or above) in public health, health systems/services administration, health management or health related field from an accredited/recognized institute or formal qualifications in International/global health policy or in similar fields.
- Desirable: PhD in one or more of the above fields and/or post-graduate training or specialization in health systems and/or health planning, management or heath Economics.
- Essential: At least ten years’ experience in health sector policy and planning at national and international levels, with
sound management or technical assistance in a governmental institution or international organization in resource-limited countries in the field of health policies, strategies and governance development.
- Desirable: Experience in health sector assessments and analyses and producing its reports, with track record in consensus building and enlisting cooperation, as well as the evaluation of health services and facilitating consultations.
Other skills (e.g. IT)
Proven ability to use standard office software packages, Conversant with common IT software including eHealth tools.
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Producing results
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Working knowledge of French.
WHO offers staff in the Professional Category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at 87,108 US Dollars (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.